'Not much time': Trump warns Iran talks face deadline before 'very strong military action'

President Trump said the US was in deep talks with Iran, warning military action would resume if they failed, and added he had not much time to spare
President Donald Trump said Israel would join if asked but insisted the US could act alone, warning Israeli involvement could trigger Iranian retaliation (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump said Israel would join if asked but insisted the US could act alone, warning Israeli involvement could trigger Iranian retaliation (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Monday, July 27, said Iran has only "not much time" to reach a deal before he is prepared to resume "very strong military action."

The warning underscored Trump's insistence that the current pause in US strikes is temporary. He said the decision came only after countries involved in mediation urged him to give diplomacy another chance.

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he exits Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews, Md., after attending the World Cup final soccer match, Sunday, July 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he exits Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews, Md, Sunday, July 19, 2026 (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

Trump ties military pause to diplomacy

Speaking to Axios on Monday, Trump said negotiations with Iran remain active but warned they could quickly give way to renewed military operations.

"We are in very deep talks with Iran. If they don't work out, we will go back to very strong military action," Trump said.

Asked how long he was willing to continue diplomatic efforts, the president replied: "Not much time. Either it goes fast or not at all."

Trump said he halted planned strikes on Friday after mediating countries requested more time for negotiations.

"All of the people that deal with Iran asked me: 'Don't fire,'" Trump said, adding that he believes Iran wants to make a deal.

Explaining why he agreed to the request, Trump said, "Nothing gained, nothing lost."

He also pointed to the market reaction following the pause, saying oil prices fell while the stock market rose after attacks were put on hold.

Iran's Minister of Science, Research and Technology Hossein Simaei Sarraf, center, visits the location that was hit during U.S.-Israeli airstrikes Friday at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, April 4, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iran's Minister of Science, Research and Technology Hossein Simaei Sarraf, center, visits the location that was hit during US-Israeli airstrikes Friday at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, April 4, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Trump previously weighed larger Iran strikes

Trump's latest comments came days after he told Axios he was seriously considering restarting major combat operations against Iran on a larger scale than Operation Epic Fury.

"I am considering a massive attack. Bigger than ever before. I am close to making a decision. We are all set for it," he said in that earlier interview.

He stressed at the time that no final decision had been made, while two US officials also confirmed that no new military orders had been issued.

Trump said Israel "would join in two minutes if I ask them to," but added that the United States did not need anyone else's participation to launch a new operation.

He also warned there would be "consequences" if Israel joined future strikes, suggesting Iran could retaliate against the country.

President Donald Trump speaks in the Oval Office of the White House, Friday, July 24, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Rod Lamkey, Jr.)
President Donald Trump speaks in the Oval Office of the White House, Friday, July 24, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Rod Lamkey, Jr)

Trump says Iran still wants a deal

Despite threatening renewed military action, Trump maintained that Tehran remains interested in negotiations.

"They haven't received enough pain yet," he said, arguing Iran still was not prepared to accept a deal.

According to two regional sources familiar with mediation efforts, Iranian leaders have not accepted the latest proposal presented during the negotiations, the outlet reported.

One of the sources told the outlet, "We are trying, but the Iranians are not being helpful."

Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier U.S.-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Trump also renewed his warning over Iran-backed Houthi attacks in the Red Sea, saying on Truth Social that if the Houthis attack ships again, "the US will hold Iran responsible."

He added that the Houthis are an Iranian proxy and that "major military punishment will be inflicted upon Iran and, of course, the Houthis themselves."

Trump is scheduled to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House on Tuesday, where he said he plans to discuss Iran, adding, "I am going to talk to Bibi about the fact that if I weren't president, Iran would have had nuclear weapons by now and Israel would have been destroyed."

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
16 minutes ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
46 minutes ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
1 hour ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
2 hours ago
Trump casts a mail-in ballot in Florida’s Republican primary while his administration pushes to restrict mail voting nationwide
4 hours ago
'The BBC is simply trying to distract away from their own obvious liability,' a spokesman for Trump's legal team said
12 hours ago
DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin said Carlos Felipe Jaramillo-Grajales’ fraud highlights the need to protect election integrity and national security
13 hours ago
Jon Ossoff accused Donald Trump of neglecting deployed service members while being surrounded by sycophants who enable him
14 hours ago
Donald Trump cited the White House's security and space limits as he made the case for a new facility ahead of Xi Jinping's visit
15 hours ago
Donald Trump said North Korea’s leader may be open to renewed engagement, reviving hopes for a fresh meeting after years of stalled diplomacy
16 hours ago