Pentagon requests massive $80B boost as Iran war costs mount

Deputy Defense Secretary Stephen Feinberg told lawmakers the Pentagon needed more funding to sustain Iran-related operations and cover other costs
Pentagon leaders warned that the department could run out of funding unless Congress approved additional financial support (@DOWResponse/X)
Pentagon leaders warned that the department could run out of funding unless Congress approved additional financial support (@DOWResponse/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Department of War has reportedly demanded $80 billion from Congress to cover costs associated with the Iran conflict and other unrelated expenses.

The initial estimate of war costs for the US was $25 billion. However, the full cost of the conflict, which began in late February, has remained an open question on Capitol Hill.

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 14: Members of the National Guard walk on the National Mall on August 14, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Donald Trump announced plans to deploy federal officers and the National Guard to the District in order to place the DC Metropolitan Police Department under federal control and assist in crime prevention in the nation's capital. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Members of the National Guard walk on the National Mall on August 14, 2025, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Defense secretary demands additional fund to sustain war

In recent calls with lawmakers, Deputy Defense Secretary Stephen Feinberg said that the Pentagon needs additional funding to sustain military operations linked to the Iran conflict and cover a range of other expenses.

The Wall Street Journal's Friday, June 19, report comes on the heels of lawmakers pressing President Donald Trump's administration to provide a detailed price tag for the war, which started in late February.

There has been bipartisan concern over the depletion of the valuable munitions stockpiles during the Iran war and the potential impact on America’s ability to fight back against other global threats.

Iran's Minister of Science, Research and Technology Hossein Simaei Sarraf, center, visits the location that was hit during U.S.-Israeli airstrikes Friday at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, April 4, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iran's Minister of Science, Research and Technology Hossein Simaei Sarraf, center, visits the location that was hit during US-Israeli airstrikes Friday at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, April 4, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

According to the Pentagon leaders, the department might run out of funding if Congress doesn’t approve the additional monetary assistance. The lack of money can result in impacted operations as early as this summer.

The Wall Street Journal further revealed that the cumulative impact of the US-Iran war and the deployment of troops on the US-Mexican border pushed the armed services to scale back training activities and other key programs.

Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier U.S.-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

US Army grapples with rising cost

The US Army is grappling with the rising cost not only from the US-Iran war but from several other operations carried out this year. In mid-May, the Pentagon had predicted the cost to stand at around $29 billion, a figure that has likely risen since then.

Additional costs have stemmed from the operation in Venezuela that resulted in the capture of the country's leader, as well as ongoing missions targeting suspected illicit vessels in the Caribbean Sea and the eastern Pacific Ocean.

Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, are seen in handcuffs after landing at a Manhattan helipad, escorted by heavily armed Federal agents as they make their way into an armored car en route to a Federal courthouse in Manhattan on January 5, 2026 in New York City. (Photo by XNY/Star Max/GC Images)
Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, are seen in handcuffs after landing at a Manhattan helipad, escorted by heavily armed Federal agents as they make their way into an armored car en route to a Federal courthouse in Manhattan on January 5, 2026, in New York City (XNY/Star Max/GC Images)

An initial $200 billion funding request was met with sharp opposition from lawmakers.

The Pentagon is reportedly confident in the plan that Feinberg has briefed lawmakers on in recent days, the report noted, and added that the money will go to ship operations, personnel pay and munitions, among other things.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump made the remark while recalling a conversation with Melania Trump about his signature 'YMCA' dance routine
4 minutes ago
Canada sharply responded, stating that it would immediately respond with matching tariffs, as both sides blamed the other for the collapse in talks
29 minutes ago
Trump called Tucker Carlson a 'low-IQ individual' who is 'totally irrelevant,' and suggested he needs a cognitive test if he runs for office
35 minutes ago
Donald Trump defended Darline Graham over criticism of her national security remarks and urged South Carolina Republicans to support her campaign
53 minutes ago
Trump said he did not direct Scott Bessent to intervene in the bond market and that the Treasury secretary acted on his own initiative
1 hour ago
Trump argued that a Democratic takeover would hurt jobs and businesses, and claimed they would seek to remove him from office without a clear reason
1 hour ago
Trump praised Scott Jennings and Margo Martin as interest grows in who will take over the high-profile White House communications role
3 hours ago
Alejandro Brito demanded a retraction from the Center for American Progress, while CEO Neera Tanden defended its findings
3 hours ago
The Supreme Court temporarily paused a judicial order that would have required the construction of Trump's White House ballroom to stop at midnight Friday.
4 hours ago
Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
8 hours ago