‘Problem was his threat’: Ken Lemon reveals why Donald Trump was late for NABJ interview

Ken Lemon said he was preparing to announce that Trump would not appear when the former president walked on stage
Ken Lemon revealed Donald Trump 'threatened' to not go on stage during the NABJ convention (@kenlemonnabj/X, Getty Images)
Ken Lemon revealed Donald Trump 'threatened' to not go on stage during the NABJ convention (@kenlemonnabj/X, Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC:  National Association of Black Journalists president Ken Lemon revealed that Donald Trump was late for the interview during the NABJ Convention because he did not want to be fact-checked live.

Lemon informed Axios that Trump refused to go on stage if he was going to be fact-checked. The former president's interview was delayed by more than an hour.

Donald Trump didn't want to be fact-checked live

Ken Lemon said, "The bigger problem was his threat not to take the stage when he had agreed to go on. He did not want to be fact-checked, but we could not let him on the stage without fact-checking."

Lemon further informed Axios that he was preparing to announce that Trump would not appear because of the fact-checking dispute when the former president abruptly walked on stage.



 

However, Trump campaign spokesperson, Steven Cheung said that Trump waited "for close to 40 minutes while audio/technical issues were fixed by NABJ".

During the interview, Trump took jibes at Kamala Harris stating that she had previously downplayed her Black heritage. He said, "She was always of Indian heritage, and she was only promoting Indian heritage. I didn't know she was Black, until a number of years ago, when she happened to turn Black, and now she wants to be known as Black."



 

He added, "So I don't know, is she Indian or is she Black? But you know what, I respect either one, but she obviously doesn't, because she was Indian all the way, and then all of a sudden she made a turn, and she went - she became a Black person."

Internet grills Donald Trump as NABJ president reveals he didn't want to be fact-checked live

Several social media users users grilled Donald Trump as Ken Lemon revealed that the former president didn't want to be fact-checked live and that was the reason why he was late for the interview. 

A user said, "It got off to a bad start primarily because Trump isn't smart enough to understand the idiom, "the elephant in the room", and he thought they were referring to him personally."

 "Trump and his team are going on full defense mode, and by defense I mean, excuses," said another.

WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 22: Former U.S. President Donald Trump speaks at the Faith & Freedom Coalition's Road to Majority Policy Conference at the Washington Hilton on June 22, 2024 in Washington, DC. The conservative Christian group is hosting a series of congressional members and political candidates to speak on the upcoming 2024 elections. (Photo by Samuel Corum/Getty Images)
Donald Trump refused to be fact-checked live and threatened to not go on stage at the recent NABJ convention (Samuel Corum/Getty Images)

A person also stated, "Trump says the NABJ conference introduction was very rude. He was welcomed and asked a straight forward question USING HIS OWN "PAST" WORDS. So, his past words were RUDE? Right?".

Another mentioned, "This is why trump only wants to speak with people who won't question him. He loves his rallies. Nothing but praise and zero questions."

A user also said, "It’s pretty well-documented that Donald Trump is a liar, but the rate at which he lies is actually sort of impressive."

A comment read, "When it comes to Trump, fact checking is what should happen. On the spot, to prove him a liar to his face on national TV."

Another user remarked, "I like the idea of live fact-checking. Add to that a flashing sign that says True or False plus maybe some audio doing the same."

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump lashed out after senators delayed a key immigration bill vote over a dispute tied to his $1.8B ‘lawfare’ victims fund amendment
6 hours ago
The Pentagon estimates that the Iran conflict has already cost the US between $25 billion and $50 billion in direct, unplanned military spending
6 hours ago
'We need Republicans to do well in November, but the stupid stuff is killing our chances!' Tillis said
7 hours ago
'His comments about Tulsi Gabbard are a new low,' Mike Huckabee pushed back on Schiff’s remarks
8 hours ago
Luna highlighted Gabbard’s accomplishments following her announced resignation as DNI
8 hours ago
Donald Trump mocked Kathy Hochul by impersonating her and claiming she frequently called him seeking federal assistance for various state issues
8 hours ago
Gabbard said she would step down effective June 30 to care for her husband, Abraham Williams, who has been diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer
9 hours ago
Lawmakers extended prayers to Gabbard and her husband, Abraham, following his bone cancer diagnosis
9 hours ago
JD Vance took to X to express support for Tulsi Gabbard and her family after she announced her resignation as intelligence chief on Friday, May 22
10 hours ago
The planned deployment was scrapped after the Pentagon chief signed a memo ordering the Joint Chiefs of Staff to withdraw a brigade combat team from Europe
10 hours ago