Rand Paul says Pete Hegseth was 'lying to us' about boat strike or he was 'incompetent'

Rand Paul recalled that Pete Hegseth initially dismissed reports of the second strike as 'fake news,' insisting that the event did not occur
Sen Rand Paul sharply criticized Secretary of War Pete Hegseth for defending a second military strike on survivors of an initial attack on an alleged boat in September (Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
Sen Rand Paul sharply criticized Secretary of War Pete Hegseth for defending a second military strike on survivors of an initial attack on an alleged boat in September (Drew Angerer/Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Sen Rand Paul (R-Ky.) strongly criticized Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, who defended a second military strike on survivors of an alleged boat attack this September, when Hegseth first referred to the report detailing the incident as "fake news."

The libertarian senator said Hegseth was either lying or incompetent when it came to his knowledge of the second strike.

Rand Paul questions Pete Hegseth's knowledge of second deadly strike

Sen Rand Paul sharply rebuked Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, saying he was either "lying to us" about his knowledge of the second military strike or "incompetent" because he didn't know it happened.

Paul recalled that Hegseth at first dismissed the report as "fake news," stating: “Secretary Hegseth said he had no knowledge of this and it did not happen. It was fake news. It didn’t happen,” Paul said.

But the following day, a White House briefing confirmed the strike, at which point Paul concluded: “So either he was lying to us on Sunday or he's incompetent and didn't know it had happened.”

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 16: Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) asks questions during a Senate Homeland Security
Sen Rand Paul (R-KY) asks questions during a hearing to discuss election security and the 2020 election process on December 16, 2020 on Capitol Hill in Washington,DC. (GREG NASH/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Paul clarified that he was referring to Hegseth’s Friday social media post blaming "fake news" for "delivering more fabricated, inflammatory and derogatory reporting" but stopped short of denying the specific strike details.

President Trump had described Hegseth's social media response as a denial, telling reporters, "Pete said that didn't happen, He said he didn't do it," and "He didn't even know what people were talking about."

Paul suggested he believes Hegseth was dishonest, pointedly asking: “Do we think there’s any chance that, on Sunday, the secretary of the Defense did not know there had been a second strike?”

Rand Paul condemns second strike on stranded boat survivors

The Kentucky senator expressed outrage over the military action itself, as it targeted people who survived the initial attack on the alleged boat carrying 11 individuals.

“So as a country, are we going to just let people lie to us, to our face? Are we going to let them kill people who they call enemies anytime in the world? Are we going to let them like when someone is stranded and holding on to the scraps of a boat put a second bomb on them?” asked Paul to the reporters.

He added, “I think it’s outrageous and should be universally condemned,” as he criticized Hegseth's and the administration’s handling of both the operation and the subsequent public response.

Pete Hegseth defends Admiral Bradley while distancing himself from the strike order

BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - FEBRUARY 13: U.S. Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth holds his closing press conference at the end of defense ministers' meetings at NATO headquarters on February 13, 2025 in Brussels, Belgium. NATO Defence Ministers are convening in Brussels for a meeting chaired by NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte. Hegseth marked the first visit to NATO by a member of the new Trump administration. High on the agenda for the allies will be ascertaining how the U.S. intends to influence the trajectory of the war in Ukraine, as the conflict nears the third anniversary of Russia's full-scale invasion. (Photo by Omar Havana/Getty Images)
US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth holds his closing press conference at the end of defense ministers' meetings at NATO headquarters on February 13, 2025 in Brussels, Belgium (Omar Havana/Getty Images)

Reportedly, Hegseth has more recently started distancing himself from the immediate decision to order the second strike during the September 2 operation in the Caribbean.

According to reports by The Washington Post, Hegseth had issued an initial command to “kill everybody” aboard the boat, prompting Admiral Frank Bradley to issue the order for the second strike after the first attack left two survivors clinging to the wreckage.

While defending Bradley, the Navy admiral who is commander of US Special Operations Command, Hegseth said he "didn't stick around" after the first strike.

During a White House Cabinet meeting, Hegseth explained, “I watched that first strike live. As you can imagine, at the Department of War, we got a lot of things to do, so I didn’t stick around for the hour and two hours, whatever, where all the sensitive site exploitation digitally occurs. So, I moved on to my next meeting.” 

However, Hegseth did defend the subsequent action, saying: “Adm Bradley made the correct decision to ultimately sink the boat and eliminate the threat. He sunk the boat and eliminated the threat,” Hegseth said. “And it was the right call. We have his back.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

David Axelrod explained that Donald Trump is popular with GOP voters but lacks wider appeal, creating a dilemma for Republicans in general elections
6 hours ago
Cynthia West shared a video congratulating Trump on a huge Kentucky victory, praising his America First agenda and calling America worth fighting for
7 hours ago
Hawaa said her father Amin Abdullah often skipped meals while guarding the mosque because he was focused on protecting children and worshippers
8 hours ago
Donike Gocaj died after falling into an uncovered Midtown Manhattan manhole near the Cartier store after exiting her Mercedes-Benz
9 hours ago
JD Vance accused Kaitlan Collins of misrepresenting both his previous comments and Donald Trump’s statement
10 hours ago
The data came from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program, which gathered information from more than 17,000 law enforcement agencies
10 hours ago
Amin Abdullah, Mansour Kaziha and Nader Awad were identified as the three men killed in the attack
10 hours ago
Natalie Maines accused the Trump administration of misusing public funds amid rising gas prices, tensions with Iran, and IRS controversy
11 hours ago
Donald Trump unveiled new details about the White House ballroom, calling it a hardened structure with military-grade defenses
12 hours ago