Rep Jim Himes claims Trump ignored Congress in Venezuela operation: 'Haven’t gotten a phone call'

'The law says you must brief the Congress. So this is just yet another example of absolute lawlessness on the part of this admin,' Jim Himes stated
PUBLISHED JAN 4, 2026
Jim Himes noted that there were no direct calls from Trump administration officials, only staff-level contact, bypassing elected leaders entirely (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Jim Himes noted that there were no direct calls from Trump administration officials, only staff-level contact, bypassing elected leaders entirely (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Rep Jim Himes (D-CT) escalated his criticism of the Trump administration on Sunday, January 4, branding its failure to brief senior Democrats on the Venezuela operation as “egregious” and a clear act of “absolute lawlessness.”

Appearing on both CNN’s 'State of the Union' and CBS’s 'Face the Nation', the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee said that he was blindsided by the high-risk capture of Nicolás Maduro.

Himes accused the administration of following a “long pattern” of sidelining Congress, selectively sharing sensitive information with political allies while freezing out legally mandated oversight.

Jim Himes claims Trump admin ignored Congress after operation



Speaking with CNN’s Dana Bash, Himes said that even after the operation had concluded, he had yet to hear directly from the White House.

“Still haven’t gotten a phone call,” Himes said. He noted that while Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth's staff eventually contacted committee aides, the elected principals were bypassed.

“This is a long pattern, and a particularly egregious example of a pattern of this administration not giving a hoot about the United States Congress,” he added.

Himes dismissed arguments that secrecy justified the snub. “Whether you think Congress leaks or not, the law says you must brief the Congress,” he said. “So this is just yet another example of absolute lawlessness on the part of this administration.”

'Zero outreach' to Democrats



Earlier on 'Face the Nation', Himes laid out what he called a stark partisan imbalance.

As a member of the 'Gang of Eight', the small group of congressional leaders legally required to be briefed on covert actions, Himes said that there was “zero outreach” to him.

By contrast, he noted that Sen Tom Cotton (R-AR), the Republican chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, had been in “regular contact” with the administration.

“Apparently, we’re now in a world where the legal obligation to keep the Congress informed only applies to your party,” Himes told Margaret Brennan.

Republicans argue Venezuela briefings not legally required



Republicans pushed back, arguing that the briefings were not legally required.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rick Crawford defended the secrecy during an appearance on Fox News’ 'Sunday Morning Futures'.

Crawford argued that the operation was primarily a law enforcement action to execute an arrest warrant, not a traditional military strike, and therefore did not trigger the same notification requirements.

He also cited the need to protect “operational security” for the US personnel involved in the mission.

Jim Himes warns sidestepping Congress sets dangerous precedent

U.S. President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump announced that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, one of the largest manufacturers of semiconductor chips, plans to invest $100 billion in new manufacturing facilities in the United States. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Himes flatly rejected that rationale, warning that allowing the president to sidestep Congress on military matters set a perilous precedent. He said the 'Gang of Eight' existed precisely to handle the most sensitive information without compromising security.

“The Constitution is really pretty clear that the representatives of the people get to be consulted and ultimately approve military activity,” Himes said. “That has not happened here at all.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Michael Malice clashed with Joe Rogan over migrant aid, rejecting job plans and warning against taking American citizens’ jobs
2 hours ago
Rachel Campos-Duffy said 'Explain to me why I should risk my military-aged boys potentially going into another war in the Middle East'
5 hours ago
'We're going to war with Iran and that Donald Trump is still trying to downplay the Epstein files', Tim Pool stated
8 hours ago
Clay Travis' response came after Jasmine Crockett said Stephen Colbert didn't offer her an interview opportunity
9 hours ago
Smith argued that prominent hosts have contributed to their own regulatory scrutiny by focusing disproportionately on President Donald Trump
10 hours ago
Kelly’s monologue questioned Phillip’s judgment and criticized her show’s low ratings
12 hours ago
Talarico has reportedly raised $13 million, compared with $7 million for Crockett after the CBS row
1 day ago
Savannah Chrisley said of Trump on The View: 'He saved one of my best friends’ lives, a Black woman'
1 day ago
Fox News' Trace Gallagher was reacting to CBS' Norah O'Donnell saying 'People are fearful about what the future means' due to leadership changes
1 day ago
'They’re protecting Republicans,' Joe Scarborough said, referring to congressional Republicans, particularly House Oversight Chair James Comer
1 day ago