Stephen Smith calls out late night comedians' hypocrisy in shows: 'Why not go after everybody?'
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Sports commentator Stephen A Smith has weighed in on the growing controversy surrounding late-night television and he’s not siding with the comedians.
Smith argued that prominent hosts have contributed to their own regulatory scrutiny by focusing disproportionately on President Donald Trump, rather than spreading their satire across the political spectrum.
His remarks come amid fallout from Stephen Colbert’s claim that CBS declined to air his interview with Texas state Rep James Talarico over concerns tied to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) guidance.
Stephen A. Smith drops a reality bomb on late-night hosts: You brought Trump’s FCC on YOURSELVES.
— Vigilant Fox 🦊 (@VigilantFox) February 20, 2026
“This is my issue: These are brilliant late-night hosts who are comedic geniuses. Why not go after everybody?”
"You've got to hit everybody when you’re a comedian. Nobody is… pic.twitter.com/lVxum2Rxl5
Stephen Smith calls out 'hypocrisy'
Smith argued that late-night shows abandoned balance in favor of targeting one political figure.
“This is my issue, These are brilliant late-night hosts who are comedic geniuses. Why not go after everybody?” Smith said.
He continued, “See, the problem is, everybody talked about Trump so much that it was so one-sided cause it's clear, you know, the disgust and the vitriol he evokes and they felt for him. You've got to hit everybody when you’re a comedian. Nobody is supposed to be safe. No one is supposed to be spared.”
Smith added that public figures should expect to be the butt of jokes.
“When I go into a place, I expect them to be teasing me about my hairline. So what? That’s what comedians do,” he said.
“Late night stopped doing that when it came to practically everybody else but Trump. Had they spared no one, Trump and his influence over the FCC clearly exist, none of that would have been enough for them to invoke their wishes the way that they’ve tried.”
Stephen Colbert - CBS dispute
The broader debate was sparked earlier this week when Colbert told viewers during Monday’s broadcast of 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert' that CBS attorneys had advised the Talarico interview could not air on television.
Rather than shelving the segment quietly, Colbert uploaded the full conversation to the show’s YouTube channel and addressed the matter directly on-air.
This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see.
— James Talarico (@jamestalarico) February 17, 2026
His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert.
Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas. pic.twitter.com/BCev5jZbKc
He said the decision was connected to FCC Chair Brendan Carr’s enforcement posture regarding the equal-time rule, which governs broadcast fairness during political coverage.
According to Colbert, he was told not only that the interview should not air but also that he should avoid explaining the reasoning to viewers.
Instead, he informed his audience that the segment was being withheld and directed them online to watch it in full.
Stephen Colbert denounces the FCC for its equal time policy, "And you know who is not one of my guests tonight? That's Texas State Representative James Talarico. He was supposed to be here. But we were told in no uncertain terms by our network's lawyers who called us directly… pic.twitter.com/vpw9DPXJLA
— Alex Christy (@alexchristy17) February 17, 2026
CBS responded the following day, disputing Colbert’s characterization. The network said the show had received guidance on how to air the interview within FCC guidelines and not an outright ban on broadcasting it.