Todd Blanche says Raul Castro indictment is ‘big step forward’ for Cuban Americans
WASHINGTON, DC: Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche called the indictment of former Cuban President Raul Castro a “big step forward” for Cuban Americans as the Trump administration escalated pressure on Cuba over the 1996 downing of two civilian planes that killed four men.
The charges announced Wednesday, May 20, marked a rare move against a foreign leader and quickly drew attention in Miami’s Cuban American community.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche and other top Justice Department officials announced Wednesday that former Cuban President Raúl Castro has been indicted in the 1996 downing of two civilian planes operated by a Cuban exile group.
— PBS News (@NewsHour) May 20, 2026
The charges against Castro, who was Cuba's… pic.twitter.com/gJHl35Ge0y
Todd Blanche highlights accountability push
Speaking at a ceremony in Miami to honor the victims of the 1996 incident, Blanche described the indictment as a symbolic moment for Cuban Americans who have waited decades for legal action tied to the attack.
“There was a warrant issued for his arrest, so we expect that he will show up here by his own will or by another way,” Blanche said to applause from a packed auditorium filled with government officials and Cuban Americans.
Castro, 94, was charged with one count of conspiracy to kill US nationals, four counts of murder and two counts of destruction of aircraft tied to the February 1996 incident.
The planes belonged to Brothers to the Rescue, a Cuban-exile organization that said its mission was to search for Cuban rafters fleeing the island. The International Civil Aviation Organization later concluded the planes were shot down over international waters.
Portraits of the four victims — Carlos Costa, Armando Alejandre Jr, Mario de la Pena and Pablo Morales — were displayed during the ceremony as officials spoke.
Cuban Americans react to indictment
Todd Blanche’s “big step forward” remark appeared aimed directly at Cuban Americans who have long pushed for accountability over the incident.
“We all hoped for a long time, for many years that this would happen,” Bobby Ramirez, a 62-year-old musician who left Cuba in 1971, said outside Miami’s Freedom Tower before the ceremony, as per the source.
President Donald Trump also tied the case to his administration’s broader posture toward Latin America, saying earlier Wednesday: “From the shores of Havana to the banks of the Panama Canal, we will drive out the forces of lawlessness and crime and foreign encroachment.”
The indictment comes as Trump pushes for regime change in Cuba, where the Castro-led communist government has remained in power since Fidel Castro’s 1959 revolution.
Cuba rejects US charges
Cuba’s government strongly pushed back on the indictment and defended the military’s actions in the 1996 incident.
In a post on X, Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel said the country had acted legitimately to defend its territory and called the indictment “a political maneuver, devoid of any legal foundation”.
La pretendida acusación contra el General de Ejército Raúl Castro Ruz, que acaba de comunicar el Gobierno estadounidense, solo evidencia la soberbia y la frustración que le provoca a los representantes del imperio, la inquebrantable firmeza de la Revolución Cubana y la unidad y… pic.twitter.com/0r0wV0kUX9
— Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez (@DiazCanelB) May 20, 2026
Diaz-Canel also warned that using the case to justify military action against Cuba “would be a mistake”.
Fidel Castro had previously said Cuba’s military acted on “standing orders” to down planes entering Cuban airspace, while also saying Raúl Castro did not give a specific order to fire on the aircraft.
Despite the indictment and arrest warrant, there is no evidence Raul Castro has left Cuba or would agree to extradition.