Trump pivots from Iran war update to gush about White House ballroom at Medal of Honor ceremony

Trump praises White House renovations, calling new ballroom building ‘very, very beautiful’
During a Medal of Honor ceremony, Trump shifted from discussing the Iran conflict to touting his White House ballroom project in the East Room on March 2 (Win McNamee/Getty Images)
During a Medal of Honor ceremony, Trump shifted from discussing the Iran conflict to touting his White House ballroom project in the East Room on March 2 (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Monday, March 2, moved swiftly from discussing ongoing US military operations in Iran to touting construction of a new ballroom at the White House during a Medal of Honor ceremony.

Speaking at the start of the event, Trump provided an update on Operation Epic Fury, the military campaign that began early Saturday, February 28, and resulted in the killing of Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.



Trump shifts conversation from Iran to White House ballroom

“Today the United States military continues to carry out large-scale combat operations in Iran to eliminate the great threats posed to America by this terrible terrorist regime,” Trump said.

He criticized former President Barack Obama’s Iran nuclear agreement, calling it “horrible, horrible, dangerous.”

Trump said operations in Iran were “ahead of schedule,” before thanking US service members involved in the campaign.

“But please join me in thanking every American service member who bravely is standing in harm’s way,” he said.

Moments later, the president shifted to discuss renovations at the White House, including construction of what he described as a “very, very beautiful building” connected to the East Wing that will house a ballroom.

“We are adding on to that building a little bit. We are improving the building,” Trump said, pointing to drapes behind him. “In about a year-and-a-half from now, you’re going to see a very, very beautiful building.”

Architect Shalom Baranes shows elevation drawings for a new $400 million ballroom at the White House to members of the National Capital Planning Commission on January 08, 2026 in Washington, DC. The commission met to discuss U.S. President Donald Trump's planned construction of a new ballroom at the White House which began months ago and will replace the recently demolished two-story East Wing. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Architect Shalom Baranes shows elevation drawings for a new $400 million ballroom at the White House to members of the National Capital Planning Commission on January 08, 2026 in Washington, DC. The commission met to discuss Trump's planned construction of a new ballroom at the White House which began months ago and will replace the recently demolished two-story East Wing (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Trump said the ballroom project would cost “$400 million or less” and would be funded privately.

“Not a penny to the taxpayer,” he said, adding that it would be “under budget, ahead of schedule.”

He joked about the noise from construction equipment operating from early morning until late evening.

“When you hear all that hammering out there, you will know why the first lady is not thrilled, exactly,” Trump said, recounting that the pile drivers operate “from 6:00 in the morning until 11:30 in the evening.” He said he enjoyed the sound, calling it “a beautiful sound,” while noting that his wife was less enthusiastic.

“It will be the most beautiful ballroom anywhere in the world,” Trump said, adding that he had “built many a ballroom.”

After discussing the project for several minutes, Trump returned to the purpose of the ceremony, saying it was time “to recognize the unsurpassed courage of three really incredible

American heroes, one living and two no longer with us.”

The Medal of Honor ceremony had been scheduled before the weekend military operation.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
4 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
5 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
5 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
6 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
7 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
7 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
8 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
9 hours ago
Trump casts a mail-in ballot in Florida’s Republican primary while his administration pushes to restrict mail voting nationwide
11 hours ago
'The BBC is simply trying to distract away from their own obvious liability,' a spokesman for Trump's legal team said
19 hours ago