Trump says Iranian girls’ school bombing was ‘done by Iran’: 'They're inaccurate with munitions'

UN Human Rights said a missile struck the Shajareh Tayyebeh girls’ school in Minab, Iran, during classes as tensions rose amid US-Israel operations
Donald Trump said Iran likely carried out the bombing of a girls’ school in Iran, telling reporters he believes the strike was 'done by Iran' (Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images)
Donald Trump said Iran likely carried out the bombing of a girls’ school in Iran, telling reporters he believes the strike was 'done by Iran' (Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump told reporters on Saturday, March 7, that he believes the deadly attack on a girls’ primary school in southern Iran last weekend was “done by Iran.” Trump made the remark without providing evidence to support the claim.

The bombing occurred on February 28, the same day missile strikes began. Reports say at least 175 schoolgirls were killed and many others were injured. Most of the victims were between 7 and 12 years old.

Much of the school building was destroyed while classes were taking place. The blast caused severe damage to the campus and led to a large number of casualties among the students. Trump made these comments while traveling to Florida, where he briefly spoke with reporters and responded to questions about the ongoing war involving Iran.

President Donald Trump speaks at the Shield of the Americas Summit, Saturday, March 7, 2026, at Trump National Doral Miami in Doral, Fla. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell)
President Donald Trump speaks at the Shield of the Americas Summit, Saturday, March 7, 2026, at Trump National Doral Miami in Doral (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell)

Trump says Iran responsible for deadly girls’ school bombing

Trump spoke about the bombing at a girls’ school in Iran and said he believes the attack was carried out by Iran itself. While speaking with reporters, Trump said, "In my opinion, based on what I've seen, that was done by Iran..."

"We think it was done by Iran, because they're very inaccurate with their munitions, they have no accuracy whatsoever, it was done by Iran," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One after attending the dignified transfer of six US soldiers who were killed in an Iranian strike in Kuwait on March 1.

When reporters asked whether Trump’s claim had been confirmed, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the Pentagon was still looking into the incident. He said the department was "investigating," and added that "the only side that targets civilians is Iran."

UN says missile hit girls’ school in Iran during classes

The United Nations Human Rights reported that a missile hit the Shajareh Tayyebeh girls’ school during school hours. The strike happened at a time when tensions in the region were intensifying. The school, located in Minab in Iran’s Hormozgan province, was reportedly struck amid military operations linked to the US and Israel.

Smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026.(AP Photo)
Smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb 28, 2026 (AP Photo)

Experts noted that schools are civilian structures and children are specifically protected during armed conflicts. Attacks targeting civilian objects, including schools, are prohibited unless those places are being used for military purposes. Indiscriminate attacks are also banned under international humanitarian law.

The experts added that deliberate attacks on educational buildings that are not military targets are considered war crimes under Article 8 of the Rome Statute. “An attack on a functioning school during class hours raises the most serious concerns under international law and must be urgently, independently, and effectively investigated, with accountability for any violations,” the experts said. “Civilians must never be treated as collateral.”

Two sources told CBS News that Israel was not operating in the area when the strike happened. One of the sources, an Israeli official, said Israel was not responsible and that the Israeli Air Force was not carrying out operations near the school at the time.

At the same time, a person familiar with the ongoing investigation told the publication that US investigators believe the US may have been responsible for the strike. The UN also said that schools are protected under international humanitarian law. 

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
41 minutes ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
2 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
3 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
9 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
9 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
10 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
10 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
11 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
11 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
12 hours ago