Trump's Sept 1 golf course plan hits fresh legal hurdle after DOJ says no work order exists

The Justice Department told a federal court no construction order has been issued, casting doubt on Trump's pledge to break ground by September 1
President Donald Trump and Interior Secretary Doug Burgum tour the East Potomac Park Golf Course Sunday, June 28, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump and Interior Secretary Doug Burgum tour the East Potomac Park Golf Course Sunday, June 28, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump's pledge to break ground on a new Washington golf course by September 1 hit a new legal hurdle after the Justice Department told a federal court no order to begin construction has been issued.

The disclosure added a new twist to a lawsuit challenging the project. It also raised fresh questions about how Trump's public timeline aligns with the government's position in court.

TURNBERRY, SCOTLAND - JULY 26: U.S. President Donald Trump plays golf at Trump Turnberry golf course on July 26, 2026 in Turnberry, Scotland. U.S. President Donald Trump is visiting his Trump Turnberry golf course, as well as Trump International Golf Links in Aberdeenshire, during a brief visit to Scotland from July 26 to 29. (Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump plays golf at Trump Turnberry golf course on July 26, 2026 in Turnberry, Scotland (Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

Judge questions Trump's Sept 1 timeline

The dispute centers on Trump's plan to replace a century-old municipal golf course on National Park Service land with what the Interior Department has described as a "world-class" golf course, NBC News reported on Saturday, July 25.

During a recent hearing, US District Judge Ana Reyes questioned how the administration could argue there had been no final agency action when Trump had publicly announced construction would begin on Sept 1 after touring the site with Interior Secretary Doug Burgum and golf course designer Tom Fazio, the report said.

"What I'm asking is, how do I know that there's not been a final agency action," Reyes said, pointing to Trump's public statements that "we're changing this entire thing" and that work "will begin by Sept 1."

Justice Department lawyer Michael Robertson responded that he was unaware of any project schedule beyond Trump's remarks. "There's no schedule in place," Robertson told the court.

The White House South Lawn (@whitehouse/Instagram)
The White House South Lawn (@whitehouse/Instagram)

Reyes declined to dismiss the lawsuit but also refused opponents' request for an injunction, saying she was uncertain she had the authority to direct the executive branch's actions, the outlet reported.

Administration says no decision has been made

The judge instructed both sides to determine whether Interior Secretary Doug Burgum had issued any order authorizing construction.

The government has since said that "no order has been given and no decisions have been made," creating a direct legal distinction from Trump's public commitment to start work on Sept 1.

The outlet reported that the White House has also not publicly released detailed plans for the proposed course or submitted them to the National Capital Planning Commission or the US Commission of Fine Arts, agencies expected to review such projects.

Neither agency has August meetings scheduled before Trump's announced construction date, it said.

Meanwhile, opponents led by the DC Preservation League continue trying to block the redevelopment through the courts, the report said.

Residents fear losing public green space

The planned redevelopment has drawn opposition from golfers, cyclists and local residents who say the existing public course serves a broader community.

Golfer Cesar Romero called the municipal course affordable and accessible. "Right now we're playing nine holes for about $28, and that, for a golf course, if you look around, is really a great price," he told the outlet.

Bicyclist Joanne Gribler said the area had become part of her daily life. "There are world championship golf courses in the area. We don't need another one right here in D.C.," she said.

WASHINGTON DC - NOVEMBER 8: The East Wing of the White House is seen on a clear, fall day on November 08, 2023 in Washington DC. (Photo by Kevin Carter/Getty Images)
The East Wing of the White House is seen on a clear, fall day on November 08, 2023 in Washington DC (Kevin Carter/Getty Images)

Elizabeth Kiker, executive director of the Washington Area Bicyclist Association, also questioned the lack of public information, saying, "We love the space and we love the land as it is. And if there is a change and you're going to make it a public space better somehow for us all, why can't we see it?"

Reyes also voiced concern about protecting the site while litigation continues, asking, "Where will I have comfort that we're not sending in bulldozers in the dark of night to chop down cherry trees?"

Separately, part of the golf course has already been altered after debris from the East Wing excavation was dumped on the property and later tested positive for toxic metals, according to the National Park Service, the report said.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump and Michael Cohen revisited their fractured past during a radio interview, reflecting on years of conflict and Cohen’s decision to seek a pardon
24 minutes ago
Jill Biden said doctors examined Joe Biden after the debate and told her, 'Jill, he's fine, he's okay'
5 hours ago
'She's not the White House press secretary. She's not a household name, and I just find it to be appalling', Scott Jennings said
6 hours ago
Asked whether the US would pressure China, Bessent said 'many conversations are best to have in private,' but called on Beijing to 'get with the program'
6 hours ago
On Wednesday, August 19, President Donald Trump announced a ‘most crushing economic operation’ and ‘economic warfare’ against Iran
7 hours ago
President Donald Trump had warned that the US would impose major economic penalties on any country providing 'any type of lifeline' to Tehran
8 hours ago
House Democrats passed the impeachment resolution when they last held the majority, but it failed in the Senate
9 hours ago
James Braid helped pass Trump's tax-cut and immigration bill with the narrow House majority and advanced the GENIUS Act, his major crypto law
9 hours ago
In June, Chinese Foreign Minister Lin Jian said Min Zin was being held on suspicion of espionage and endangering national security
10 hours ago
In Aug, an ICE official added cases at the Iran Embassy's request, and a week later, another changed the deportation list after meeting its director
11 hours ago