'US does not target civilians': White House rejects blame for deadly strike on Iranian girls' school

Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said President Trump acted on intelligence and his own assessment of an imminent Iranian threat to US assets
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt denied responsibility for the deaths of 175 people, asserting the US did not target civilians (Getty Images)
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt denied responsibility for the deaths of 175 people, asserting the US did not target civilians (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt formally denied US responsibility for a strike on an Iranian girls' elementary school that reportedly killed 175 people.

During the briefing on Wednesday, March 4, Leavitt pushed back against questions regarding American involvement, asserting that the United States military did not target civilians.

The press secretary contrasted American military protocols with those of the "rogue Iranian regime," cautioning reporters against "pointing the finger" at the US armed forces.

She confirmed that the Pentagon was investigating the strike, echoing statements made earlier by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.

Pentagon investigates school strike reports



The administration maintained a firm stance that civilian casualties were not an intentional outcome of US operations.

Leavitt emphasized that targeting non-combatants was "not something that these armed forces do," even as the death toll at the elementary school remained a subject of international scrutiny.

The ongoing Pentagon investigation aimed to determine the exact circumstances surrounding the tragedy. Officials have yet to provide specific details on the ordnance used or the proximity of military targets to the school site.

White House defends preemptive strike rationale



Addressing the origins of the conflict, Leavitt doubled down on President Trump's claim that he "had a good feeling" the Iranian regime was preparing to strike US assets and personnel in the region.

While a reported phone call between Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu regarding the whereabouts of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was deemed "important," Leavitt clarified that the president's intuition regarding an imminent threat was the primary driver.

The press secretary noted that while intelligence on Khamenei’s location influenced the operation's timeline, it did not represent the entirety of the president's decision-making process.

The administration continued to frame the launch of 'Operation Epic Fury' as a preemptive defensive measure.

Karoline Leavitt accuses media of misreporting on strikes



Leavitt targeted members of the media during the briefing, accusing them of "misreporting and intellectual dishonesty" regarding the rationale for initiating 'Operation Epic Fury'. 

This rebuke followed scrutiny over conflicting accounts within the administration concerning the lead-up to Saturday’s strikes.

While Secretary of State Marco Rubio suggested that an imminent Israeli strike necessitated US preemptive action, President Trump claimed that he "forced Israel’s hand" and denied any pressure from Benjamin Netanyahu.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
51 minutes ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
6 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
6 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
7 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
7 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
8 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
8 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
9 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
10 hours ago
Trump casts a mail-in ballot in Florida’s Republican primary while his administration pushes to restrict mail voting nationwide
12 hours ago