White House says sign language interpreters interfere with Trump’s image control amid lawsuit

The move by the Trump admin denies deaf and hard-of-hearing Americans access to government information
PUBLISHED DEC 13, 2025
Sign language services ‘intrude’ on Trump’s ability to control his image, administration says (Getty Images)
Sign language services ‘intrude’ on Trump’s ability to control his image, administration says (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Trump administration is facing a lawsuit over its decision to stop providing live sign language interpreters at White House events, arguing that requiring them would interfere with the president’s ability to control his public image.

According to disability advocates, the move denies deaf and hard-of-hearing Americans access to government information.

Trump admin defends ending sign language services

President Donald Trump gestures during a meeting of his Cabinet in the Cabinet Room of the White House on December 02, 2025 in Washington, DC. A bipartisan Congressional investigation has begun regarding Secretary of War Pete Hegseth's role in ordering U.S. military strikes on small boats in the waters off Venezuela that have killed scores of people, which Hegseth said are intended
President Donald Trump gestures during a meeting of his Cabinet in the Cabinet Room of the White House on December 02, 2025, in Washington, DC. A bipartisan Congressional investigation has begun regarding Secretary of War Pete Hegseth's role in ordering military strikes on small boats in the waters off Venezuela that have killed scores of people, which Hegseth said are intended "to stop lethal drugs, destroy narco-boats and kill the narco-terrorists who are poisoning the American people” (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

According to the administration, requiring real-time American Sign Language interpretation of events like White House press briefings “would severely intrude on the President’s prerogative to control the image he presents to the public.”

Department of Justice attorneys have not explained how providing sign language interpreters would affect the image Trump wants to project. However, rolling back policies on diversity, equality, and inclusion has become a hallmark of his second administration, starting with his very first week back in the White House.

The National Association for the Deaf sued the Trump administration in May, arguing that the cessation of American Sign Language interpretation, which the Biden administration had used regularly, represented “denying hundreds of thousands of deaf Americans meaningful access to the White House’s real-time communications on various issues of national and international import.”

Previously, the group sued during Trump’s first term, demanding ASL interpretation for Covid-19 briefings.

Justice Department's legal argument

Arizona man with a history of threatening behavior was arrested on Saturday after he reportedly threatened to execute a local synagogue rabbi in an email. (Getty Images)
Attorneys for the Justice Department argued that being required to provide sign language interpretation for news conferences “would severely intrude on the President’s prerogative to control the image he presents to the public (Getty Images)

In a June court filing opposing the association’s request for a preliminary injunction, attorneys for the Justice Department argued that being required to provide sign language interpretation for news conferences “would severely intrude on the President’s prerogative to control the image he presents to the public.” 

They argued  that the president has “the prerogative to shape his Administration’s image and messaging as he sees fit.”

According to government attorneys, it provides the hard-of-hearing or deaf community with other ways to access the president’s statements, like online transcripts of events or closed captioning.

According to the administration, it would be difficult to wrangle such services if Trump spontaneously took questions from the press, rather than at a formal briefing.

Crackdown on DEI policies

U.S. President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump announced that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, one of the largest manufacturers of semiconductor chips, plans to invest $100 billion in new manufacturing facilities in the United States. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025, in Washington, DC. Trump announced that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, one of the largest manufacturers of semiconductor chips, plans to invest $100 billion in new manufacturing facilities in the United States (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Trump, in his first week back in office, signed a sweeping executive order putting an end to diversity, equity, and inclusion programs across the US government. 

In putting his own imprint on the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth in January issued an order stating that DEI policies were “incompatible” with the department’s mission.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio this week ordered diplomatic correspondence to return to the more traditional Times New Roman font, arguing that the Biden administration’s 2023 shift to the sans serif Calibri font had emerged from misguided diversity, equity, and inclusion policies pursued by his predecessor.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Nancy Guthrie’s family pleaded for her return as the FBI described a masked male suspect seen carrying an Ozark Trail backpack
39 minutes ago
Minnesota BCA condemns ‘unprecedented’ FBI noncooperation, blocks access to investigation files
6 hours ago
Trump says DOJ will seek death penalty if Savannah Guthrie’s mother is harmed
7 hours ago
Media executive reveals fourth ransom letter claims anchor’s mother taken south
8 hours ago
Attorney General Pam Bondi releases 300-name Epstein list, says inclusion isn't wrongdoing
9 hours ago
The revived ICE task force model, which had ended in 2012 over profiling concerns, offered equipment funding and incentives to departments that joined
9 hours ago
Sheriff Chris Nanos calls the suspect’s backpack one of the strongest leads
10 hours ago
James Heidorn calls leaving his 14-year teaching career 'devastating' after community backlash over his personal ICE support
18 hours ago
Hillary Clinton outlined arming Ukraine with missiles, while Petr Macinka urged calm dialogue and rejected labeling opponents 'fascist'
18 hours ago
Sources say Savannah Guthrie may leave 'Today' after her mother’s Tucson abduction, fearing her job may have made her a target
18 hours ago