Anne Hathaway reveals she ‘pushed hard’ to bring Julie Andrews back for ‘The Princess Diaries 3’
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Anne Hathaway is continuing work on 'The Princess Diaries 3' while revealing that the team made significant efforts to bring Julie Andrews back for the upcoming installment.
Andrews, who played Queen Clarisse Rinaldi in the first two films, recently confirmed that she will not appear in the third movie. Hathaway remains respectful of the decision while expressing her admiration for her longtime costar.
Anne Hathaway addresses Julie Andrews’ 'Princess Diaries 3' exit
Hathaway revealed that the team "pushed hard" to see if Andrews would want to return for 'Princess Diaries 3.'
Speaking ahead of her Disney Legends ceremony at the 2026 D23 event, she added that if Andrews changes her mind, “we’re down,” while emphasizing that the actress' wishes will be respected.
“But we also want to be respectful...for goodness sakes, if anybody has contributed to the world of entertainment and to our joy, it’s her. Whatever she wants, we completely understand,” she added. Andrews recently confirmed that she will not return as Queen Clarisse Rinaldi.
“I’m not going to be in it,” she told Today, explaining that the story is different and that “it’s too late for me to do it.” She added that the story has to continue with Princess Mia because “It’s her story. It’s not really mine.”
Hathaway previously described Andrews as “so warm,” “so gracious” and “so funny,” while saying she would miss her sense of humor on set. “She brings magic with her wherever she goes. She’s this amazing love conductor,” she further added.
She also reflected on Garry Marshall, who directed the first two films and died in 2016.
She recalled the connection she felt with Marshall and how he trusted her to play Mia Thermopolis opposite “legend Julie Andrews” while giving her “so much love” and “so much understanding” that made her feel safe on the set.
Anne Hathaway shares 'Princess Diaries 3' update
Hathaway confirmed in April that the team was “constantly working" on the latest addition to the franchise, although the movie was not yet greenlit or confirmed at that time.
The actress explained that 'The Devil Wears Prada 2' had unexpectedly taken over her schedule while filming during the summer of 2025, making it impossible to focus on both projects simultaneously.
She said the intention was to make 'Princess Diaries' next, adding that “everybody wants it” and that the team was “chipping away at the script.”
She also stressed that expectations are “very, very high” and that the movie needs to “knock it out of the park.”
Meryl Streep, sitting beside Hathaway during the interview, added, “You’ve got to wait for the right script.” The first 'Princess Diaries' premiered in 2001, with Hathaway starring as a high school student who discovers she is heir to the fictional kingdom of Genovia, ruled by her grandmother Queen Clarice.
The film grossed $165 million at the box office, followed by the 2004 sequel, 'The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.' As the original film marked its 25th anniversary on August 3, Hathaway shared behind-the-scenes footage on Instagram and called it “one of the most magical things that has ever happened to me.”
She expressed gratitude to her “PD family” and wrote, “Love you Garry, miss you every day.”
Meg Cabot, whose young-adult books inspired the films, also revealed that she had read the script for the third movie and called it “amazing.”
Hathaway later revealed that the team had experienced “a story breakthrough” and was “moving in the right direction.” She explained that they had to start over with the script following a new direction, but everyone felt that it would be “the one.”