Bessent: US expects steady tariff revenue as Trump reissues levies

Treasury secretary: Court ruling narrow; administration has tools to maintain tariffs
Scott Bessent declined to speculate on whether companies might receive refunds for tariffs invalidated by the Supreme Court of the United States (Getty Images)
Scott Bessent declined to speculate on whether companies might receive refunds for tariffs invalidated by the Supreme Court of the United States (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said that the government is not projecting any change in the tariff revenue it expects to collect this year, even as Trump moves to reissue tariffs that were recently struck down by the Supreme Court of the United States under different legal authority.

Bessent on Sunday, February 22, said the court’s decision was narrowly focused on tariffs imposed under the International Economic Emergency Powers Act and does not prevent the administration from pursuing its broader trade agenda.

“The president, the administration remain undeterred in reshoring American factories and getting rid of these massive trade imbalances,” Bessent said on CNN’s "State of the Union”.



Bessent says refunds left to lower courts

Bessent declined to speculate on whether companies could receive refunds for tariffs invalidated by the Supreme Court, saying the matter has been sent back to lower courts.

“The Supreme Court remanded [refunds] down to a lower court, and we will follow what they say,” he told CNN anchor Dana Bash. “That could be weeks or months when we hear them,” he added.

While the court ruled that Trump exceeded his authority under IEEPA, it did not outline how any refunds should be handled. The administration has previously acknowledged that returning tariff revenue is a possibility.



Bessent says some tariffs remain in force

The ruling left several of Trump’s existing tariffs intact, including steel and aluminum duties imposed after Section 232 investigations, which assess the national security impact of imports.

Trump said Saturday that he plans to impose the maximum 15% tariff allowed under Section 122 of the Trade Act, a temporary measure that can remain in effect for up to 150 days before requiring congressional approval.

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 05: U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent testifies before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs in the Dirksen Senate Office Building on February 05, 2026 in Washington, DC. The Committee met to hear testimony on the Financial Stability Oversight Council’s Annual Report to Congress. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
 Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent testifies before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs in the Dirksen Senate Office Building on February 05, 2026, in Washington, DC ( Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Bessent said the administration also plans to launch new Section 232 investigations and that the Office of the United States Trade Representative will continue using Section 301 to probe what it views as unfair trade practices by foreign countries.

“Those tariffs remain in effect and have withstood more than 4,000 challenges since the president’s first term,” Bessent said. He added that ongoing studies could result in higher Section 232 and Section 301 tariffs, ultimately restoring overall tariff levels.

Bessent said the administration remains in contact with US trading partners, noting that many countries “want to keep the trade deals that have been set,” even as the White House reshapes its tariff strategy following the court’s ruling.

Further, Bessent said, "There may not be a need for Congress to vote on tariffs because the administration is using the five-month bridge to conduct investigations needed to impose the tariffs under longer-lasting authority. The revenue for the US Treasury for 2026, the projections, are unchanged.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
30 minutes ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
2 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
3 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
8 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
9 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
9 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
10 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
11 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
11 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
12 hours ago