Democrats say $350M from Trump's tax cuts law may be paying for White House ballroom

Sen Jeff Merkley says that 'Trump appears to be using a smoke and mirrors tactic'
President Donald Trump tours Ballroom construction around the outside of the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Donald Trump tours Ballroom construction around the outside of the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump is facing fresh scrutiny after Democrats said more than $350 million redirected to White House security could be helping fund his controversial Ballroom project despite his pledge that private donors would cover the cost.

Democrats quickly seized on the funding move. They argue the newly allocated money raises fresh questions about whether taxpayer dollars are being used for a project Trump repeatedly described as donor-funded.

President Donald Trump speaks during a Medal of Honor ceremony in the East Room of the White House, Thursday, June 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Donald Trump speaks during a Medal of Honor ceremony in the East Room of the White House, Thursday, June 18, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

 

Democrats challenge ballroom funding claims

According to Democrats on the Senate Budget Committee, the White House Office of Management and Budget quietly redirected more than $350 million late Friday from two Secret Service accounts that Congress intended for hiring and training after last year's assassination attempts against Trump, according to an AP report. 

Tower cranes being used for construction of the White House Ballroom are seen at the White House, on Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)
Tower cranes being used for the construction of the White House Ballroom are seen at the White House on Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

The reallocation came days after Congress rejected a $1 billion White House funding request tied to the ballroom project, and while the development remains entangled in legal challenges, the report said.

Sen Jeff Merkley, the top Democrat on the Senate Budget Committee, accused Trump of breaking a promise made to the public.

"After repeatedly telling the American people that zero taxpayer dollars would be spent on his gold-plated ballroom boondoggle, now Trump appears to be using a smoke and mirrors tactic," Merkley said in a statement.

Merkley went further, calling Trump's actions potentially unlawful.

"Trump has proven that he can't be trusted to follow the law," he said. "He only cares about wasting taxpayer money on his vanity projects."

Chuck Grassley says public expects private funding

The funding shift also appeared to catch some lawmakers by surprise.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, whose panel originally drafted the security funding, said that he was unaware of the allocations.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 6: Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) speaks to reporters on Capitol Hill on October 6, 2025 in Washington, DC. Grassley has released a document he says came from a whistleblower, alleging that the FBI subpoenaed the phone records of eight Republican senators during an investigation. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Sen Chuck Grassley (R-IA) speaks to reporters on Capitol Hill on October 6, 2025, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

"The president said that it was all going to be paid for with private money," Grassley said. "And that's what the country expects."

The money comes from Trump's tax cuts and spending law, which provided more than $1 billion for Secret Service resources, including personnel, training facilities, technology, and retention bonuses, the report said.

Democrats noted they did not oppose that specific Secret Service funding provision when Congress considered the broader legislation.

White House defends security spending

The White House rejected suggestions that taxpayer funds are paying for the ballroom itself.

White House spokesman Davis R Ingle said the project's security components have always been linked to the broader development plan.

"The East Wing Modernization Project is inextricably tied to the security of the President, the White House grounds, and certain security infrastructure assets," Ingle said.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Monday, March 30, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Monday, March 30, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

He also defended the financing arrangement.

"President Trump and generous American patriots are funding the ballroom to the tune of approximately $400 million, which will be a secure and appropriate venue for Presidents for generations to come," Ingle said.

Government lawyers have argued in court that the project includes extensive security upgrades, including protections against drones and missiles.

Court filings say the East Wing project would include bomb shelters, military installations, and a medical facility beneath the ballroom.

Secret Service documents provided to senators showed that $220 million of the White House's rejected funding request would have gone toward hardening the ballroom addition with bulletproof glass, drone detection systems, and other security measures.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump praised Scott Jennings and Margo Martin as interest grows in who will take over the high-profile White House communications role
1 hour ago
Alejandro Brito demanded a retraction from the Center for American Progress, while CEO Neera Tanden defended its findings
2 hours ago
The Supreme Court temporarily paused a judicial order that would have required the construction of Trump's White House ballroom to stop at midnight Friday.
2 hours ago
Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
6 hours ago
Vance said earlier generations made his life possible, adding that Black, white, rich and poor Americans built the country together across generations
6 hours ago
Ken Paxton is facing a tight race against Democrat James Talarico, raising donor fears that Democrats could score a major win in the deep-red state
7 hours ago
National Cattlemen's Beef Association's CEO Colin Woodall warned that subsidized, below-market beef would not rebuild the US herd
8 hours ago
The Trump-aligned board voted in August 2026 to add inscriptions crediting him for renovations, prompting opponents to file emergency legal challenges
8 hours ago
A Maoist faction of the DSA rejected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as its 2028 standard-bearer, citing her stances on policing and Israel
9 hours ago
Officials told CNN that Harp stayed with Trump much of the day, joined meetings, advised him on posts, and served as a channel for foreign leaders
10 hours ago