DOJ says review shows no 'credible evidence' of Epstein blackmailing prominent figures

Todd Blanche announces 'no new charges' are coming as investigation continues of the Epstein files
UPDATED DEC 20, 2025
Todd Blanche discusses Epstein blackmail claims and lack of evidence against uncharged third parties (Getty Images)
Todd Blanche discusses Epstein blackmail claims and lack of evidence against uncharged third parties (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Justice Department says it still has no evidence that Jeffrey Epstein blackmailed prominent figures, even as it continues reviewing hundreds of thousands of government-held documents connected to his case.

On Friday, December 19, the DOJ made public thousands of documents from the Epstein files, marking the first disclosures under a new law signed by President Trump that requires their release.

The disclosure included roughly 3,900 files, primarily photograph, which are available on the DOJ’s website in a section titled 'Epstein Files Transparency Act.'

NEW YORK, NY - JULY 08: A protest group called
A protest group called 'Hot Mess' hold up signs of Jeffrey Epstein in front of the Metropolitan Correction Center on July 8, 2019 in New York City (Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)

Justice Department finds no evidence of Epstein blackmail

Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche wrote to Congress, "This review did not reveal credible evidence that Epstein blackmailed prominent individuals."

He continued, "Nor did it uncover evidence that could predicate an investigation against uncharged third parties.”

When asked earlier on Fox News whether additional charges could be expected, even after Epstein co-conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced and is currently serving federal prison time, Blanche replied, “As of now, no.”

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MAY 13: Attorney Todd Blanche sits in court during the trial of former President Donald Trump for allegedly covering up hush money payments at Manhattan Criminal Court on May 13, 2024 in New York City. Former U.S. President Donald Trump faces 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the first of his criminal cases to go to trial. (Photo by Sarah Yenesel-Pool/Getty Images)
Attorney Todd Blanche sits in court during the trial of Trump for allegedly covering up hush money payments at Manhattan Criminal Court on May 13, 2024 in New York City (Sarah Yenesel-Pool/Getty Images)

He further said “As the president directed, it’s still being investigated. And I expect that will continue to happen. So, we, as of today, there is no new charges coming.”

The Act required the Justice Department to release all Epstein-related files in its possession by Friday, with exceptions for survivors’ personal information and other limited categories.

However, Blanche told lawmakers that the sheer 'volume of materials' means the files will need to be released 'on a rolling basis.'

Both the Department of Justice and the FBI previously issued a memo stating Epstein did not maintain a 'client list' of powerful people.



Howard Lutnick’s allegations on Jeffrey Epstein

In contrast to the department’s official stance, US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick made highly publicized statements characterizing Jeffrey Epstein as 'the greatest blackmailer ever.'

In an interview with the New York Post’s Miranda Devine, Lutnick alleged that Epstein may have traded incriminating video footage of his associates with federal authorities in exchange for a lenient 2008 plea deal.

But Lutnick acknowledged, that he had 'no knowledge' of the matter and did not offer any evidence to support his claim.

U.S. President Donald Trump, accompanied by Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick (L) and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) CEO C.C. Wei (R), speaks in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump announced that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, one of the largest manufacturers of semiconductor chips, plans to invest $100 billion in new manufacturing facilities in the United States. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Trump, accompanied by Howard Lutnick and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) CEO CC Wei, speaks in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025 in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Lutnick, who lived near Epstein in Manhattan in 2005, recounted a disturbing encounter at Epstein’s townhouse in which he showed him and his wife a room centered around a 'massage table' and made a suggestive comment.

Lutnick said he and his wife left deciding he would 'never be in the room with that disgusting person ever again.'

He then stated, "what happened in that massage room, I assume, was on video.”

He suggested that such material could have been used to secure Epstein’s controversial plea deal, which allowed him to serve only 18 months on state charges and avoid federal prosecution.

Lutnick then bluntly reiterated, “This guy was the greatest blackmailer ever, blackmailed people. That’s how he had money.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices after they strike down his emergency tariffs, sparking Maher’s satirical take
3 hours ago
The Capitol Rotunda honor is reserved for presidents, top officials, and select civilians; Jackson’s family plans local memorials instead
4 hours ago
Representatives Ro Khanna and Thomas Massie said they will bring Epstein survivors, with up to 12 victims expected to attend
4 hours ago
Pritzker says Trump’s tariff policy harmed Illinois families and farms, calling for $8.6B in direct compensation after Supreme Court ruling
5 hours ago
Nancy Pelosi said the Supreme Court rightly struck down the tariffs, upholding the Constitution while 'rejecting an abuse of executive power'
5 hours ago
Justice Brett Kavanaugh argued tariffs regulate imports and said lawmakers, not courts, should settle the trade dispute
5 hours ago
Newsom accused Trump of self-dealing and cronyism, saying his tariff push reflects desperation and weak leadership
6 hours ago
At the WH, Trump said the ruling is contradictory as he can take harsh trade action against countries but cannot impose even a small tariff fee
7 hours ago
Omar argues only Congress can authorize military action, warning unilateral moves could drag the US into another conflict
8 hours ago
Vance says the 6-3 decision limits presidential trade powers and makes it harder to shield US jobs and supply chains
9 hours ago