Iran rejects US peace proposal, demands reparations and control over Strait of Hormuz

Tehran's steep terms include reparations, security pledges and Hormuz control, dimming deal hopes
Iran has rejected a US-backed plan to end the war, calling it unacceptable.
Through state media, Tehran outlined a five-point counter-plan, including a halt to attacks, war damage compensation, and international recognition of its rights (Getty Images/AP
Iran has rejected a US-backed plan to end the war, calling it unacceptable. Through state media, Tehran outlined a five-point counter-plan, including a halt to attacks, war damage compensation, and international recognition of its rights (Getty Images/AP

TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran has rejected a set of US-backed terms aimed at ending the ongoing conflict and instead issued a counterproposal outlining its own conditions for a resolution.

The five-point plan, reported by state media on Wednesday, March 25, reflects Tehran’s position that any diplomatic outcome must align with its own terms and timeline. 

The development comes amid continued hostilities and competing narratives from both sides about the status of negotiations. Officials on both sides have indicated that indirect communication channels remain active.

Iran outlines Five-Point plan, rejects US Proposal

Iran’s state-run Press TV reported that the government had dismissed the terms presented by the administration of President Donald Trump, describing them as “excessive and disconnected from the reality of America's failure on the battlefield.”

The report cited an unnamed senior political-security official who outlined five conditions for ending the war.

According to the official, the proposed framework includes a halt to what was described as “aggression and assassinations,” along with mechanisms to ensure that hostilities do not resume.

The plan also calls for guaranteed reparations for war damages and a comprehensive end to conflict across all fronts, including actions involving Iran-aligned groups in the region.



Another key demand involves Iran’s control over the Strait of Hormuz, with the official emphasizing the need for recognition of Tehran’s sovereignty over the vital shipping route.

The inclusion of such conditions, particularly reparations and maritime control, could complicate efforts to reach an agreement.



Press TV also reported that Iran’s leadership would not accept externally imposed timelines for ending the conflict. “Iran will end the war when it decides to do so and when its own conditions are met,” the official said, adding that Tehran would not allow Washington to dictate the process. 

It remains unclear whether the individual cited in the report is formally authorized to speak on behalf of the Iranian government.

However, the use of state media suggests the message is intended for an international audience, including policymakers in Washington.

Iran rejects ceasefire as US signals willingness for deal

Iran’s semi-official Fars News Agency reported that Tehran would not accept a ceasefire under current conditions. Citing a source familiar with diplomatic activity, the outlet said, “Iran does not accept a ceasefire.

Fundamentally, entering such a process with those who have violated agreements is not logical,” while adding that Iran intends to achieve its strategic objectives before ending the war.

GENEVA, SWITZERLAND - FEBRUARY 17: People gather with Iranian flags and posters in support of Reza Pahlavi, son of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, the deposed Shah of Iran outside the United Nations headquarters as delegations from the United States and Iran hold formal talks on Iran's nuclear program on February 17, 2026 in Geneva, Switzerland. This second-round of talks follow indirect talks in Oman earlier this month. (Photo by Sedat Suna/Getty Images)
People gather with Iranian flags and posters in support of Reza Pahlavi, son of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, the deposed Shah of Iran, outside the United Nations headquarters as delegations from the United States and Iran hold formal talks on Iran's nuclear program on February 17, 2026, in Geneva, Switzerland (Photo by Sedat Suna/Getty Images)

The stance underscores continued skepticism within Tehran regarding negotiations, even as indirect diplomatic efforts persist. Iranian officials have maintained that engaging in talks without meeting their conditions would not be viable.

President Donald Trump speaks during the swearing in for Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, March 24, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Trump speaks during the swearing-in of Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, March 24, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

On the US side, President Trump said earlier this week that both countries want to “make a deal,” noting that envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner were involved in discussions that he claimed were initiated by Iran.

However, he did not specify the Iranian counterparts involved. US officials have also conveyed a 15-point proposal to Tehran through intermediaries, including Pakistan.

According to regional sources, the proposal includes limits on Iran’s defense capabilities, restrictions on support for allied groups, and provisions related to Israel.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

King Charles' cancer was found during treatment for another health issue, with the palace confirming treatment but not disclosing its type
4 hours ago
Michelle Rodriguez’s remarks followed the recent deaths of Daveigh Chase, Oliver Tree, Lauren Bennett, Josh Grisetti, Jake Hall and Tay Keith
19 hours ago
Griff Furst recalled being warned that something was off before meeting Hayden Panettiere, who he said was 'incredibly sweet' but 'not okay'
19 hours ago
Hayden Panettiere used the campaign to spotlight the conditions faced by dolphins and whales in marine parks and urged audiences to avoid such facilities
20 hours ago
Evan Rachel Wood shared several Instagram Stories, including photos of Hayden Panettiere and a song dedicated to her
20 hours ago
Charles Esten recalled being at the same Greenville location as Hayden Panettiere shortly before her death and wished they had crossed paths
21 hours ago
Tim Fywell recalled how enjoyable Hayden Panettiere and Michelle Trachtenberg were to have around during what was his first Hollywood movie
21 hours ago
Paris Hilton sent her love to Hayden Panettiere and her family, saying the actress would be deeply missed
22 hours ago
The Greenville Police Department and Greenville County Coroner’s Office are investigating Hayden Panettiere’s death, with no foul play indicated
22 hours ago
Hayden Panettiere's autopsy found no trauma that contributed to her death, while officials await further testing to determine the cause and manner
22 hours ago