NATO chief calls Trump ally clashes a 'family argument,' says he is '100% convinced' of alliance backing

Mark Rutte addresses concerns over Washington’s NATO role, highlighting the alliance’s strategic importance amid recent disputes among members
NATO leaders, including Donald Trump, gathered for a summit in Ankara amid alliance discussions (AP Photo)
NATO leaders, including Donald Trump, gathered for a summit in Ankara amid alliance discussions (AP Photo)

WASHINGTON, DC: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte compared President Donald Trump’s clashes with allies to a “family” disagreement while insisting that the US president remains fully committed to the alliance.

Trump’s criticism of NATO partners has raised questions about Washington’s role in the alliance, but Rutte pushed back on concerns, saying he was “100% convinced” that Trump continues to support NATO.

Mark Rutte compares Trump’s NATO disputes to a family argument

Speaking to the BBC on Wednesday, July 8, at the NATO summit in Ankara, Rutte addressed the contrast between the alliance’s message of unity and Trump’s public criticism of some allies.

Trump had “voiced disappointment that NATO did not join the US war with Iran, though the alliance was not consulted. Several countries, including the UK, ultimately allowed US forces to use their bases to launch strikes on Iranian missile sites,” BBC reported.

THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS - JUNE 25: U.S. President Donald Trump (C) is greeted by NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on the second day of the 2025 NATO Summit on June 25, 2025 in The Hague, Netherlands. Among other matters, members are to approve a new defense investment plan that raises the target for defense spending to 5% of GDP. (Photo by Omar Havana/Getty Images)
Donald Trump was greeted by NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte during the NATO summit in The Hague (Omar Havana/Getty Images)

The president also repeated his view that the US should take control of Greenland and called Spain “a terrible partner.” At the same time, Trump stressed there had been “unification” at the leaders’ meeting and “tremendous love in that room.”

Rutte compared the tensions to disagreements among relatives.

“It’s a bit like in a family, you have families where you never quarrel and then it bursts out completely,” he said.

Rutte then made his position on Trump clear, saying, “Trump is completely committed to Nato.”

NATO chief says Trump understands alliance’s value

Pressed on why he was so certain about Trump’s commitment, Rutte doubled down despite the president’s previous comments about the possibility of leaving NATO and his criticism that the US had received a poor return on the “trillions” of dollars it invested in the alliance.

“I am 100% convinced [Trump is committed to Nato],” Rutte said.

He argued that Trump understands the importance of US access to Europe, pointing to the role NATO allies played in supporting US military operations.

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte holds his closing press conference at the end of the NATO Foreign Affairs Ministers' meeting at NATO headquarters on December 03, 2025 in Brussels, Belgium. As part of the agenda for Wednesday's meeting of NATO Ministers of Foreign Affairs, the allies will hold a working lunch of the NATO-Ukraine Council. The meeting comes amid talks taking place in Moscow between a US envoy and Russian President Vladimir Putin, over the terms of a US-proposed peace deal to end Russia's war in Ukraine. (Photo by Omar Havana/Getty Images)
Mark Rutte addressed reporters during a closing press conference at NATO headquarters in Brussels (Omar Havana/Getty Images)

“I know that the United States, this president included, particularly this president, also understands that - take [US Operation] Epic Fury [against Iran], it could not have taken place at this extent without using Europe as a power projection platform,” Rutte said.

Rutte said “five thousand planes” had taken off from European bases under bilateral agreements during the six weeks between the end of February and mid-April, when a ceasefire came into force.

He also highlighted the importance of NATO’s Nordic members and their proximity to Russia’s nuclear-armed submarine bases on the Kola Peninsula, arguing that the alliance helps protect the US from potential threats.

“You don’t want the Russian nuclear submarines to end up at the shores of the United States,” he said. “We prevent that as Nato collectively."

President Donald Trump speaks during a media conference at the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, Wednesday, July 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
Donald Trump spoke during a media conference at the NATO summit in Ankara amid alliance tensions (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Rutte urges allies to boost defense production

Beyond Trump’s remarks, the Ankara summit focused on turning commitments for higher defense spending into concrete action.

Rutte said Canadians and Europeans had spent an additional quarter of a trillion dollars over two years, calling the increase “staggering.”

He said NATO members must continue increasing defense production and maintain support for Ukraine.

Asked whether NATO would be prepared if Russia attempted a land grab, including in Estonia, Rutte gave another strong assurance.

“Absolutely we’ll be ready,” he said. “Now we’re ready, in 2030 we are ready, at any moment.”

He added that NATO remained a defensive alliance but warned any adversary considering an attack, “We will defend ourselves,” Rutte said.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
19 hours ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
19 hours ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
3 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
3 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
3 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
3 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
5 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026