Rubio questions UN’s relevance as the Iran crisis deepens, asking what 'utility' its system serves

Rubio says Iran must not block UN push as Trump administration advances Hormuz resolution
Marco Rubio casts doubt on the United Nations’ relevance, questioning its effectiveness as Iran-related tensions continue to rise (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Marco Rubio casts doubt on the United Nations’ relevance, questioning its effectiveness as Iran-related tensions continue to rise (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

WASHINGTON, DC: Secretary of State Marco Rubio, on Tuesday, May 5, sharply escalated the Trump administration’s pressure campaign on Iran, but reserved some of his harshest criticism for the United Nations itself.

Speaking from the White House, Rubio openly questioned the value of the international body if it fails to rally behind what he described as a limited, urgent, and fundamentally humanitarian request.



Rubio puts UN on notice amid tensions

Laying out Washington’s next move, Rubio said the administration is now taking its case directly to the United Nations in hopes of building international pressure on Tehran over attacks on commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.

But he made clear that patience inside the administration is wearing thin.

“We’re going to take it to the UN and we’re going to give it another chance,” Rubio said, arguing that the US is not asking member nations to send troops or join a military campaign.

Instead, Rubio said the request before the international community is far more basic: condemn the attacks, demand Iran stop targeting ships, call for sea mines to be removed, and allow humanitarian supplies currently stranded in the region to move safely.

“That’s it. This is a very modest request, If you’re telling me that the international community cannot rally behind that, then I don’t know what the utility of the UN system is.”

A tanker sits anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)
A tanker sits anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)

US resolution for reopening of Hormuz

Rubio’s remarks come as the Trump administration pushes a new draft resolution at the UN Security Council condemning Iran’s actions in the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical energy corridors.

The administration says Tehran has effectively disrupted maritime traffic through a combination of missile threats, drone activity, naval harassment, and the laying of sea mines following US and Israeli strikes that began earlier this year.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Tuesday, May 5, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Tuesday, May 5, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

The proposed resolution reportedly demands that Iran halt attacks on commercial vessels, stop charging transit tolls, disclose the location of naval mines, and cooperate with international efforts to reopen shipping lanes. 

It also supports the creation of a humanitarian corridor for aid shipments currently stuck in the region. 

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance said the administration had relied on alternative routes, pipelines and other infrastructure to keep oil moving despite the disruption
3 hours ago
The potential change comes as the Navy reviews its broader rules for naming ships
4 hours ago
Donald Trump defended his Iran strategy, touted his economic record and border policies, and praised Michael Cohen after their yearslong feud
5 hours ago
JD Vance blamed the Biden administration for leaving behind what he called a 'debt bomb'
6 hours ago
'I solved the problem in 30 days and solved it beautifully in 60, and at the end of 90 days, nobody comes in,' Trump said
6 hours ago
In one letter, Natalie Harp told Donald Trump, 'You are all that matters to me,' and said she never wanted to disappoint him
6 hours ago
JD Vance said the administration is at the same time also working to increase oil and gas supplies to ease pressure on American consumers at the pump
8 hours ago
Donald Trump and Michael Cohen revisited their fractured past during a radio interview, reflecting on years of conflict and Cohen’s decision to seek a pardon
9 hours ago
Jill Biden said doctors examined Joe Biden after the debate and told her, 'Jill, he's fine, he's okay'
14 hours ago
'She's not the White House press secretary. She's not a household name, and I just find it to be appalling', Scott Jennings said
15 hours ago