Rubio says US can revoke visas, no foreign national has 'constitutional right' to entry

Rubio warns visas are privileges, not rights, and can be canceled if holders act against US interests or national security
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO
Marco Rubio spoke about US visa rules during a joint press conference in Budapest (Getty Images)
Marco Rubio spoke about US visa rules during a joint press conference in Budapest (Getty Images)


BUDAPEST, HUNGRY: Secretary of State Marco Rubio, while visiting Europe, delivered a stark message about US immigration policy, emphasizing that foreign nationals do not have a right to enter the United States.

Speaking alongside Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, Rubio reiterated that visas are not guaranteed or protected by any constitutional entitlement. His remarks came as part of broader actions by the  State Department under the Trump administration focused on national interests and security.

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (R) shakes hands with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio after a joint press conference following talks during a visit on February 16, 2026 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Janos Kummer/Getty Images)
Viktor Orban shook hands with Marco Rubio after a joint press conference in Budapest (Janos Kummer/Getty Images)

Marco Rubio defends tough visa revocations

Rubio stressed that his role at the State Department is to identify individuals whose presence in the US might pose a threat to foreign policy or national security, and then act accordingly.

He stated, “we’re going to take that person’s visa away. we’ve done that in a lot of cases over the last year.” Rubio then elaborated that visas are not a constitutional right.

He continued, “I’ve said this repeatedly; I don’t know why it’s so hard for some to comprehend it, so let me repeat it again: No one is entitled to a visa, there is no constitutional right to a visa.” He defined a visa simply as permission to enter the country as a visitor.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio (L) speaks alongside with Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban during a joint press conference on February 16, 2026, in Budapes, Hungary. (Photo by Janos Kummer/Getty Images)
Marco Rubio appeared alongside Viktor Orban during a press conference on February 16, 2026 (Janos Kummer/Getty Images)

Rubio emphasized that a visa is a privilege granted by the US and can be revoked if misused, “If you enter our country as a visitor, and as a visitor in our country, be it a student, a journalist, a tourist… and you undertake activities that are against the national interest, the national security of the United States, we will take away your visa.”

He further added, “In fact, if we knew you were going to do that, we probably wouldn’t have given you your visa. That’s what we do.”

WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - FEBRUARY 13: U.S. President Donald Trump gestures to members of the media after exiting Air Force One at Palm Beach International Airport on February 13, 2026 in West Palm Beach, Florida. The President is spending the weekend at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida. (Photo by Nathan Howard/Getty Images)
Donald Trump gestured to reporters after exiting Air Force One at Palm Beach International Airport (Nathan Howard/Getty Images)

State Department visa actions under Marco Rubio and Trump administration

President Donald Trump’s first year of his second term, the State Department has revoked more than 100,000 visas from foreign nationals. This includes roughly 8,000 visas from international students and about 2,500 visas from foreign nationals who had run-ins with the law.

In addition to revocations, the Department has halted issuing visas to nationals of 75 countries that produce what the administration views as “overwhelming welfare-dependent migrants” to the US.

The Department also wrote in a statement issued last month, “The freeze will remain active until the US can ensure that new immigrants will not extract wealth from the American people.”

The statement continued, “The pause impacts dozens of countries – including Somalia, Haiti, Iran, and Eritrea – whose immigrants often become public charges on the United States upon arrival, We are working to ensure the generosity of the American people will no longer be abused. The Trump Administration will always put America First.”

Widespread reports of extensive welfare utilization among certain immigrant groups in the US have drawn significant national attention, particularly following the exposure of a large-scale fraud scheme involving Somali migrants in Minnesota.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump said Gavin Newsom destroyed California and claimed Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez could not answer key questions in Munich
5 minutes ago
Donald Trump also praised Melania Trump’s successful movie, calling it a tremendous hit and saying he was proud of her work
1 hour ago
Chuck Schumer said the Pride flag symbolizes equality and urged Congress to permanently protect it at Stonewall National Monument
1 hour ago
President Donald Trump highlighted rising 401(k) balances, a strong military and what he called historic drops in crime
6 hours ago
Trump pushed back on reports suggesting federal funds were tied to a renaming proposal, while reiterating concerns about potential project overruns
7 hours ago
Bush highlights character, restraint, and peaceful power transfer in Presidents’ Day message
7 hours ago
The memorandum with UK Energy Sec Ed Miliband focused on offshore wind, research collaboration, and expanding access for firms like Octopus Energy
8 hours ago
Florida representative vows to work with DOJ to expose full scope of Epstein scandal
10 hours ago
Civil rights groups asked a judge to restrict how ballots and voter rolls taken in a January search could be used, citing privacy and rights concerns
11 hours ago
Nancy Pelosi is reportedly leveraging her donor network to elevate Newsom’s national profile ahead of a potential 2028 run
19 hours ago