Special Envoy Steve Witkoff reveals why Trump hit Iran: 'They boasted fuel for 11 nuclear bombs'

Steve Witkoff said, 'We tried to make a fair deal, it was very, very clear it was going to be impossible, probably by the end of the second meeting' he said.
US Special Envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, claims Iran bragging of capacity for eleven nuclear bombs ultimately led to US–Israel strikes (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
US Special Envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, claims Iran bragging of capacity for eleven nuclear bombs ultimately led to US–Israel strikes (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: US Special Envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, said the joint American–Israeli strike on Iran was driven by alarming details shared during nuclear talks, claiming Tehran openly acknowledged it had stockpiled enough highly enriched uranium for up to 11 nuclear weapons.

Speaking on Fox News Monday, March 2, Witkoff said negotiations collapsed after Iranian officials insisted on what they called an "inalienable right" to continue enriching nuclear fuel.



Steve Witkoff explains reason behind Iran strikes

According to Witkoff, US officials entered talks in Geneva seeking three primary outcomes: a complete shutdown of Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs, an end to its support for regional armed proxies, and the dismantling of its naval capabilities to ensure what he described as “freedom of the seas.”

But Iranian negotiators, he claimed, made their intentions unmistakably clear.

“The Iranians told us directly, and without shame, that they have 460 kg of uranium enriched to 60%,” Witkoff said.

“They were proud that they had evaded all sorts of oversight protocols to get to a place where they could deliver 11 nuclear bombs.”

Uranium must typically be enriched to around 90% purity for use in a nuclear weapon. However, experts note that once material has reached 60% enrichment, the technical leap to weapons-grade levels can be achieved relatively quickly— potentially within days.

Witkoff said Tehran’s insistence on maintaining enrichment capabilities for what he described as potential armament purposes left the US with little room to maneuver diplomatically.

"We responded that the President feels we have the inalienable right to stop you dead in your tracks," Witkoff said, according to a report by The Times of Israel.

A plume of smoke rises after an explosion on March 2, 2026 in Tehran, Iran. The United States and Israel continued their joint attacks that erupted on February 28. Iran retaliated by firing waves of missiles and drones at Israel, and targeting U.S. allies in the region. (Photo by Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)
A plume of smoke rises after an explosion on March 2, 2026 in Tehran, Iran (Photo by Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)

Witkoff says negotiations were 'difficult'

Witkoff added that he and Jared Kushner reported back to the president that reaching a deal would be extraordinarily difficult.

“We tried to make a fair deal, it was very, very clear it was going to be impossible, probably by the end of the second meeting,” he said.

While Witkoff did not detail the operational specifics of the recent strike, prior US action against Iranian nuclear infrastructure has centered on key facilities including Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant, Natanz Nuclear Facility and Isfahan Nuclear Technology Center.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 07: U.S. Vice President JD Vance (C) and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio look on during a meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney in the Oval Office of the White House on October 07, 2025 in Washington, DC. Carney visited the White House earlier in the year after he was elected prime minister. Carney and Trump will meet in the Oval Office and later have a bilateral lunch where they are expected to discuss a range of topics including U.S. tariffs. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Vice President JD Vance (C) and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio look on during a meeting between President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney in the Oval Office of the White House on October 07, 2025 in Washington, DC(Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

In June 2025, JD Vance claimed that roughly 400 kg of enriched uranium was unaccounted for following US airstrikes that used bunker-buster bombs to target those sites. 

At the time, Vance had said the stockpile had already been enriched to 60% purity.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
51 minutes ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
6 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
6 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
7 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
7 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
8 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
8 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
9 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
10 hours ago
Trump casts a mail-in ballot in Florida’s Republican primary while his administration pushes to restrict mail voting nationwide
12 hours ago