US‑Iran nuclear talks wrap in Geneva with ‘significant progress’ amid military tensions

Tehran maintained it was not pursuing nuclear arms and warned that any limited US or Israeli strike would provoke a severe response
Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi said on X on Thursday, February 26, that the talks between the US and Iran had ended with 'significant progress' (Getty Images)
Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi said on X on Thursday, February 26, that the talks between the US and Iran had ended with 'significant progress' (Getty Images)

GENEVA, SWITZERLAND: The United States and Iran held high-stakes nuclear talks in Geneva on Thursday, February 26, marking a third round of indirect negotiations as President Donald Trump intensified pressure on Tehran with the threat of possible military action.

Iranian state television reported that the discussions had concluded later in the day. The talks were mediated by Oman, a key regional intermediary in the US-Iran diplomacy.



Mediator cites ‘significant progress’ in talks

Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi said in a post on X that the talks had ended with “significant progress in the negotiation.”

He added that discussions would resume after consultations in the respective capitals, with technical talks expected to begin next week in Vienna. Al-Busaidi said both sides showed “openness to new and creative ideas.”

The Geneva talks followed President Trump’s most explicit warnings yet of potential military action against Iran, delivered during his State of the Union address.

Trump claimed Tehran was attempting to restart a nuclear program that he said had been badly damaged by US and Israeli strikes last year, and was developing missiles that could “soon” reach the United States.

Trump said on Tuesday that while the US strikes last June had “obliterated” Iran’s nuclear capabilities, the country was now “starting all over,” a claim Iranian officials have strongly denied.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 07: U.S. Vice President JD Vance (C) and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio look on during a meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney in the Oval Office of the White House on October 07, 2025 in Washington, DC. Carney visited the White House earlier in the year after he was elected prime minister. Carney and Trump will meet in the Oval Office and later have a bilateral lunch where they are expected to discuss a range of topics including U.S. tariffs. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio look on during a meeting between President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney in the Oval Office of the White House on October 07, 2025, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

US officials stress red line and state Washington’s position

Vice President JD Vance reiterated Washington’s position on Wednesday, saying, “The principle is very simple. Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon.”

“If they try to rebuild a nuclear weapon, that causes problems for us,” Vance said, adding that the US had seen evidence Iran was attempting to do so.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio echoed those concerns, telling reporters that Iran was “always trying to rebuild elements” of its nuclear program. While Tehran is not currently enriching uranium, Rubio said, it is “trying to get to the point where they ultimately can.”

TEHRAN, IRAN - MARCH 01: Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (R) speaks after casting his ballots during the parliamentary and key clerical body elections at a polling station on March 1, 2024 in Tehran, Iran. Iranians are voting in parliamentary elections and will also cast ballots for the Assembly of Experts, which selects and nominally oversees the work of Iran's supreme leader. (Photo by Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)
Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, speaks after casting his ballot during the parliamentary and key clerical body elections at a polling station on March 1, 2024, in Tehran, Iran (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)

Iran pushes back and warns of retaliation

Iran has consistently denied seeking a nuclear weapon and dismissed Trump’s claims of “sinister nuclear ambitions” as part of a series of “big lies.” Tehran has warned that even a limited US or Israeli attack would prompt a severe response.

President Masoud Pezeshkian said Iran’s Supreme Leader had made clear the country would not pursue nuclear arms. “The leader of a society, a religious leader of a community, cannot lie,” Pezeshkian said.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said Iran entered the talks with “full preparedness and seriousness.”

U.S. President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump announced that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, one of the largest manufacturers of semiconductor chips, plans to invest $100 billion in new manufacturing facilities in the United States. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Sanctions and sticking points remain

The negotiations come amid the largest US military buildup in the Middle East in decades, even as Washington sends mixed signals about whether its focus is on unrest inside Iran or Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.

Beyond uranium enrichment limits, the US is pressing Iran to curb its ballistic missile program and support for radical groups across the region, demands Iran has rejected, insisting talks remain confined to nuclear issues.

On the eve of the Geneva meeting, the Trump administration imposed new sanctions targeting Iran’s oil exports and ballistic missile production. Iranian officials have stressed that any concessions on their nuclear program must be met with significant sanctions relief.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Rubio reportedly suggested that President Donald Trump has grown increasingly frustrated with allies unwilling to support American military actions in the Middle East
11 minutes ago
Assessments pointed to continued Chinese-linked supplies that could aid Iran's missile production and military rebuilding
10 hours ago
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the conflict cannot end unless Iran's uranium, missiles and proxy networks are dismantled
13 hours ago
Chinese Foreign Ministry condemned any official US engagement with Taiwan, saying it violates longstanding sovereignty principles
14 hours ago
Trump's first face-to-face with several G7 leaders since Iran conflict escalated
1 day ago
On May 14, CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana with President Donald Trump's message linking US engagement to reforms in Cuba
3 days ago
State-linked Iranian media claimed Washington offered a counterproposal easing some oil sanctions during negotiations
3 days ago
Iranian President Masoud President Pezeshkian acknowledged losses from US strikes on Iran and urged officials to avoid rhetoric that fuels division
3 days ago
Tehran says it is coordinating with Muscat to ensure safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz
3 days ago
Iran’s truce proposal called for ending regional conflicts and lifting all economic and maritime restrictions imposed during the war
3 days ago