Tim Scott slammed as 'coward' as he refuses to say whether he would accept 2024 results but claims Trump will win

Tim Scott did not directly answer multiple questions about whether he'd accept the results of the 2024 elections
Senator Tim Scott says Donald Trump would be the 47th president of the US (Getty Images)
Senator Tim Scott says Donald Trump would be the 47th president of the US (Getty Images)

CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA: Senator Tim Scott, a top contender for former President Donald Trump's 2024 vice presidential pick, refused to give a clear answer on whether he would accept the results of the November presidential election irrespective of who emerges as the winner.

During his appearance on NBC's 'Meet the Press' on May 5, host Kristen Welker pressed him multiple times about his willingness to accept the results. However, he dodged it without answering yes or no. "At the end of the day, the 47th president of the United States will be President Donald Trump," said Scott, a Republican Senator from South Carolina.

Recently, Trump said to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he would accept the 2024 presidential election outcome in Wisconsin, a key battleground state, only "if everything's honest." Otherwise, he would "fight for the rights of the country."

Republican presidential candidate and former U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during his caucus night watch party at the Treasure Island Hotel & Casino on February 08, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Donald Trump is the presumptive winner of the Nevada Republican presidential caucus which was held today, two days after the symbolic Nevada Republican presidential primary took place. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)
Donald Trump recently said he would accept the 2024 election results only if it was 'honest' (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

Tim Scott declines to say if he'll accept 2024 election results

Scott's assertion that Trump would emerge as the 47th president of the country forced Welker to press the lawmaker to give a "yes" or "no" answer.

"That is my statement," Scott said.

"Will you commit to accepting the election results?" Welker asked for a third time.

Scott stood firm on his previous statement, saying, "I look forward to President Trump being the 47th president — the American people will make the decision."



 

The South Carolina congressman, who dropped his Republican presidential primary race against Trump last year, is widely considered to be on top of the former president's potential running mate picks.

After the 2020 presidential election, which the 2024 GOP presumptive nominee still considers rigged, Scott was not part of the stolen election claims.

Before January 6, 2021, the day of the congressional certification of Joe Biden's victory, the Senator said in a statement, "The President's legal team exercised its right to access the courts by initiating suits in state and federal courts in numerous states. Some of these lawsuits have even been presided over and adjudicated by conservative judges nominated by President Trump. Thus far, no justice, judge or fact finder has found evidence indicating the election results in those states should be overturned."

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 14:  U.S. President Donald Trump shakes hands with Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) d
Sen Tim Scott did not agree with Donald Trump's 2020 election claims (Getty Images)

He added that upon reading the Constitution, the Congress had no "viable means" to overturn the election when states sent their certified electors. In addition, during his campaign trail in June 2023, he disputed the stolen election claims, indicating there was "cheating," which was a common practice in all elections.

Internet slams Tim Scott

The internet lashed out at Scott's cowardice to explicitly state whether he would accept the 2024 election result no matter who wins.

One user wrote, "Cowardly and pathetic." Another remarked, "@SenatorTimScott if you really thought Trump was going to win, you would've said yes. The question was not partisan in any way you're just afraid to answer and when you get afraid to answer, you start lashing out and lying."



 



 

"For Tim Scott to take this stance is so un-American," a third user opined. A fourth response read, "The Senate should censure him for this."

Someone else said, "Another one that doesn’t want to be responsible for his own mouth."



 



 



 

An individual wrote, "Tim Scott has joined 'The Sore Loser’s Club' Gold Member Status!" Another user added, "Typical Republican. He never answered the question."

"It’s a simple question that should be answered yes or no. He’s no more than a prop for Trump," read a remark.



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump made it clear that he hoped to be there for the wedding ceremony and wished the couple well
13 minutes ago
'The GOP's campaign was powered by data, amplified by social media, and enabled by ardent supporters at every level', the DNC report revealed
59 minutes ago
Lauren Boebert's remarks stood out as many Republicans avoided criticizing Donald Trump after others faced political backlash
1 hour ago
'She allegedly committed marriage and immigration fraud to get her brother into this country', Nancy Mace wrote about Ilhan Omar
2 hours ago
'The president promoting his $1 billion request for White House security measures won't convert voters', Karl Rove said
2 hours ago
'Hiring freezes are hollowing out research labs and forcing institutions to rescind job offers to young scientists', Tammy Baldwin said
3 hours ago
Thom Tillis said it was absurd for taxpayers to 'compensate someone who assaulted a police officer, admitted their guilt, got convicted, got pardoned'
3 hours ago
The Trump administration extended the refrigeration rule deadline, saving food distributors nearly $900 million in upgrade costs
4 hours ago
Ken Martin said withholding the report after Democrats' November wins created a bigger distraction than releasing it would have
4 hours ago
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche defended the Trump administration’s $1.776 billion fund amid questions over eligibility and payouts
12 hours ago