Trump announces 'powerful and deadly' airstrikes on Nigerian 'scum' over attacks on Christians

President Trump warned that 'many more lives' could be lost if the violence continues.
Donald Trump posted on Truth Social, saying he had instructed the US Department of Defense for 'deadly' action if Nigeria did not stop the violence (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)
Donald Trump posted on Truth Social, saying he had instructed the US Department of Defense for 'deadly' action if Nigeria did not stop the violence (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC:  Christmas Day was not marked by celebration everywhere. In parts of Nigeria, the holiday unfolded amid fear and uncertainty.

Donald Trump said the United States carried out airstrikes in northwest Nigeria on Christmas night. He said the strikes targeted Islamic State militants. He accused the group of killing Christians in the area.

Trump shared the statement on Truth Social and described the operation as decisive, and warned that further attacks would follow if the violence continued. No additional details about the airstrikes were immediately available.

Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting at the White House on February 26, 2025 in Washington, DC   (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Trump says the US carried out decisive Christmas night strikes in northwest Nigeria

On Thursday, December 25, Trump shared, "Tonight, at my direction as Commander in Chief, the US launched a powerful and deadly strike against ISIS Te***rist Scum in Northwest Nigeria, who have been targeting and viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians, at levels not seen for many years, and even Centuries!"

He also repeated an earlier warning to the group. "I have previously warned these Te*****sts that if they did not stop the slaughtering of Christians, there would be hell to pay, and tonight, there was. The Department of War executed numerous perfect strikes, as only the United States is capable of doing," he shared.

California National Guard soldiers (front) stand guard at a federal building on June 14, 2025 in Los Angeles, California. Protesters held an anti-Trump
California National Guard soldiers stand guard at a federal building on June 14, 2025 in Los Angeles, California (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

Trump went on to stress his stance on ter****sm. "Under my leadership, our Country will not allow Radical Islamic Ter*****sm to prosper," he continued.

"May God Bless our Military, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, including the dead Ter*****ts, of which there will be many more if their slaughter of Christians continues," he concluded.

US raises concerns over violence in Nigeria

According to Nick Sortor's X (formerly Twitter) post, a War Department official stated that the United States collaborated with the Nigerian government to conduct the strikes. The official said the Nigerian government 'approved' the operation.



Speaking about Trump, he has repeatedly said the US could take direct military action in Nigeria. He has argued that the Nigerian government has failed to stop attacks on Christians by Islamist groups.

Those groups have been accused of kidnapping and killing Christians over several years. Nearly a month later, the Trump administration announced a new visa-restriction policy, as per AP News.

Even Marco Rubio said the measure is grounded in the Immigration and Nationality Act. He said it gives the State Department authority to deny visas to those 'who have directed, authorized, significantly supported, participated in, or carried out violations of religious freedom.'

Nigeria is officially a secular nation. Its population is almost evenly split, with about 53 per cent Muslim and 45 per cent Christian. Violence involving Christian communities has drawn growing international attention, as per The Guardian.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
24 minutes ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
2 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
2 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
8 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
9 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
10 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
11 hours ago
Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
13 hours ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
15 hours ago
Todd Blanche also expressed regret over the lack of an update, acknowledging how heartbreaking the case has been
1 day ago