Trump brands Kennedy Center 'very woke' as he orders $200m renovation amid leadership changes

President Trump said the Kennedy Center needs major upgrades and proposed a two-year closure beginning July 4 to accelerate construction
President Donald Trump speaks during a board meeting of the John F Kennedy Memorial Center For The Performing Arts in the East Room of the White House, Monday, March 16, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump speaks during a board meeting of the John F Kennedy Memorial Center For The Performing Arts in the East Room of the White House, Monday, March 16, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump said sweeping renovations are needed at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, claiming the iconic cultural venue had been neglected under previous leadership.

Speaking during a board meeting on Monday, March 16, Trump, who serves as chair of the center’s board of trustees, said the facility had fallen into “very bad condition” and required extensive upgrades to remain functional.

The president has proposed a $200 million renovation project and previously announced that the center will close for two years beginning July 4 to allow construction to proceed more quickly.

“Major renovations are required to keep the facility functional,” Trump said, adding that materials including marble and new seating have already been purchased.

The Kennedy Center is seen Thursday, Dec, 18, 2025 in Washington. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)
The Kennedy Center is seen Thursday, December 18, 2025 in Washington (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

Funding to include private donations

Trump indicated that the renovation effort would be partly financed through private donations, alongside other funding sources.

He said the temporary closure would allow the project to be completed “much faster and at a much higher quality,” while preserving what he described as the building’s “good bones” and structural foundation.

The president also criticized the arts center’s programming, claiming it had become “very woke” and disconnected from audiences.

Trump argued that the center’s leadership had allowed maintenance issues to pile up while focusing on programming that he described as “out of touch with reality.”

“Over the past year, we’ve made incredible strides to restore the true purpose and prestige of the building,” he said.

(Alex Wong/Getty Images)
The board meeting followed Trump’s announcement that Ric Grenell would step down as president of the Kennedy Center (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Leadership shake-up at the arts institution

The board meeting followed Trump’s announcement that Ric Grenell would step down as president of the Kennedy Center.

Matt Floca, previously the center’s vice president of facilities and operations, will take over as chief executive officer.

Trump praised Grenell’s leadership and highlighted his earlier service as US ambassador to Germany during the president’s first term.

The renovation plan has already sparked a legal challenge from Joyce Beatty, a Democratic congresswoman from Ohio who sits on the board as an ex-officio member.



Beatty is suing over the planned shutdown of the center and seeks the right to participate in the board meeting.

Christopher Cooper, a federal judge, ruled that Beatty must be allowed a meaningful opportunity to present her objections during the meeting.

In a statement, Beatty argued that no president has the authority to exclude Congress from the governance of the Kennedy Center or unilaterally alter its future.Oil tankers and cargo ships line up in the Strait of Hormuz as seen from Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, Wednesday, March 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

Meeting held amid Middle East tensions

The board meeting comes as the United States remains deeply engaged in a widening conflict with Iran, which has pushed global oil prices above $100 per barrel.

Washington is also pressing international partners to help reopen the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, a key shipping lane for global energy supplies.

According to reports, the US is considering deploying up to 5,000 additional troops to the Middle East as the conflict escalates.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Raskin’s remarks reflect a pattern of aggressive Democratic rhetoric aimed at portraying Trump’s political network as dangerous
1 hour ago
Donald Trump reportedly called John Thune after Elizabeth MacDonough blocked the ballroom funding vote under Senate rules
2 hours ago
The UFC boss revealed this week that what was supposed to be an elegant evening at the newly reopened Rose Garden quickly turned into a bug-filled reality check
2 hours ago
Donald Trump joked that Mark Cuban’s endorsement was a 'mistake,' prompting laughter from the audience
3 hours ago
Michelle argued that widening inequality and declining economic stability have left many Americans feeling abandoned regardless of race or geography
3 hours ago
Arab leaders urged the White House to stand down its forces, signaling that active backchannel diplomatic talks were underway
11 hours ago
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth demanded voters oust the libertarian incumbent for abandoning the conservative movement during crucial Capitol votes
12 hours ago
'We can't set up a multi-million dollar ATM at Mar-a-Lago for people who've committed crimes. It just isn't the way we are', Comey said
12 hours ago
Iran reportedly submits revised 14-point peace plan to Pakistani mediators after Trump warning
14 hours ago
Pentagon defends Hegseth’s personal campaign role and denies politicizing the military
15 hours ago