Trump says federal troops ‘saved’ Los Angeles and made 2028 Olympics possible

Trump ties Olympic security to National Guard deployments as criticism grows over aggressive federal enforcement tactics
Trump spoke about federal troop deployments during an interview discussing security for major US sporting events(Screengrab/@RapidResponse47/X)
Trump spoke about federal troop deployments during an interview discussing security for major US sporting events(Screengrab/@RapidResponse47/X)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump has linked federal security actions and the deployment of the National Guard to the successful hosting of major international sporting events in the United States, including the upcoming 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

Trump's comments come amid a wave of scrutiny over federal enforcement tactics nationwide, following the recent fatal shootings of two Americans by federal immigration agents in Minneapolis during an enforcement operation in January. Those incidents sparked widespread protests and a significant reduction in the deployment of ICE and Border Patrol personnel in the city.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a bill signing in the Oval Office of the White House on February 03, 2026 in Washington, DC. The House passed legislation today that ends the partial government shutdown while lawmakers negotiate over Immigration and Customs Enforcement policy and funding for the Department of Homeland Security. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Donald Trump spoke during a bill signing in the Oval Office of the White House on February 3, 2026, in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Trump and federal security claims on Los Angeles and the Olympics

President Donald Trump spoke with NBC News on Wednesday, February 4, in an interview with NBC Nightly News anchor Tom Llamas, where he discussed preparations for upcoming Olympic Games to be held in the United States. In the interview, Trump emphasized the role of the National Guard and federal troops in maintaining order and ensuring the Games could take place.

Trump said, “We’ve done a great job everywhere, the only place there’s been a little inflammation” was not Minnesota and that Los Angeles had also been handled effectively. He stated that unrest began before his term and continued into it, asserting that federal intervention was decisive.

“Well, I saved Los Angeles,” Trump said, adding that without deploying the National Guard and troops, “you wouldn’t have the Olympics, which I got. I got the Olympics.”

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - FEBRUARY 04: Tom Homan, White House
Tom Homan spoke at a press conference at the Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building on February 4, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (John Moore/Getty Images)

Trump continued by quoting a top law enforcement officer who said that without presidential action, the state would have been lost. “You know what? I saved Los Angeles,” Trump said, adding, “And we will do it again if we have to.”

He also pledged that both the Olympics and the upcoming FIFA World Cup would be “very safe.” Trump previously established a task force for the Olympic Games through an executive order signed at the White House in August.

Trump will serve as chair of the task force, with Vice President JD Vance as vice chair.

Demonstrators march calling for an end to ICE operations in Minnesota on January 30, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Protesters marched through downtown to protest the deaths of Renee Good on January 7, and Alex Pretti on January 24 by federal immigration agents. (Photo by John Moore/Getty Images)
Demonstrators marched calling for an end to ICE operations on January 30, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (John Moore/Getty Images)

Gavin Newsom response to Trump's federal action

California Governor Gavin Newsom has sharply criticized federal enforcement actions under the Trump administration. Newsom denounced sweeping immigration raids across Los Angeles and other cities, citing arrests of kitchen staff at the San Diego restaurant Buona Forchetta last May as an early example.

As the ICE surge escalated, public demonstrations followed, prompting a federal crackdown. “We saw the federalization of the National Guard, hundreds of millions of dollars wasted of taxpayer money,” Newsom said.

His comments came as the Department of Homeland Security began drawing down “Operation Metro Surge” in Minneapolis, where ICE officers fatally shot Renee Good and Alex Pretti last month. Newsom lamented that the operation’s leader, Border Patrol Commander Gregory Bovino, was subsequently sent back to California.

Border Patrol Commander Gregory Bovino speaks during a press conference at the Bishop Henry Whipple Federal on January 22, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Bovino, joined by ICE Executive Associate Director of Enforcement and Removal Operations Marcos Charles, addressed ongoing immigration enforcement operations in the state. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal plus federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Gregory Bovino spoke during a press conference at the Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building on January 22, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

According to a DHS official, Bovino was removed from his position as Border Patrol “commander at large” and reassigned to his former role in El Centro, California, where he is expected to retire soon.

The Trump administration also announced Wednesday that 700 federal officers will be pulled from Minnesota following a weeks-long immigration enforcement operation in the state, a decision that White House border czar Tom Homan said came after “productive talks” with state and local leaders. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
1 hour ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
2 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
7 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
8 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
8 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
9 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
10 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
10 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
11 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
12 hours ago