Trump warns Iran to rein in 'proxies' or face strikes 'even harder' than last week

JD Vance said talks had moved beyond broad pledges and into technical negotiations that could eventually support a permanent agreement
President Donald Trump warned Iran to rein in its Lebanon-based proxies or face tougher US military strikes as talks continued (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump warned Iran to rein in its Lebanon-based proxies or face tougher US military strikes as talks continued (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

WASHINGTON, DC: Trump sharply escalated his rhetoric toward Tehran on Sunday, June 21, warning that Iran would face another round of military action if it failed to rein in the armed groups it supports across the Middle East.

The warning landed at a delicate moment, with senior US officials already in Switzerland trying to turn last week’s breakthrough agreement with Iran into a broader and more durable settlement covering both regional security and nuclear issues.



Trump issues fresh threat to Iran

In a post on Truth Social, Trump directly linked Iran to recent tensions involving Hezbollah in Lebanon and signaled that Washington's patience was limited.

“Iran must immediately stop their highly paid PROXIES in Lebanon from causing trouble. If they don’t, we’ll hit Iran very hard again, just like we did last week, only harder!!!” President Donald Trump wrote.

The message marked one of Trump's strongest warnings since the United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding aimed at reducing tensions across the region.

While the agreement opened the door to negotiations and temporary de-escalation measures, Trump’s latest remarks suggest the administration remains prepared to respond militarily if it believes Tehran is failing to uphold its commitments.



Although both sides have publicly reaffirmed their commitment to the truce, accusations of violations have continued, keeping the situation volatile.

Peace talks move ahead in Switzerland

The warning comes even as diplomacy remains active.

Vice President JD Vance has arrived in Switzerland to lead a new round of negotiations with Iranian representatives.

Joining the US delegation are Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff, both of whom have been heavily involved in shaping the administration’s Middle East strategy.

Speaking before his departure, Vance outlined the administration’s priorities.

He said negotiators would focus on two major issues: the future of Iran’s nuclear activities and ensuring the ceasefire framework in Lebanon holds.



According to Vance, the goal is to move beyond broad political commitments and begin detailed technical negotiations that could eventually form the basis of a permanent agreement.

“What today really represents is the beginning of a technical negotiation,” Vance told reporters before leaving for Switzerland.

He described the talks as an opportunity for all parties to identify their core concerns and begin working toward long-term solutions.

The negotiations also involve officials from Pakistan and Qatar, two countries that have played key roles in facilitating communication between Washington and Tehran.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump praised Scott Jennings and Margo Martin as interest grows in who will take over the high-profile White House communications role
1 hour ago
Alejandro Brito demanded a retraction from the Center for American Progress, while CEO Neera Tanden defended its findings
2 hours ago
The Supreme Court temporarily paused a judicial order that would have required the construction of Trump's White House ballroom to stop at midnight Friday.
2 hours ago
Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
6 hours ago
Vance said earlier generations made his life possible, adding that Black, white, rich and poor Americans built the country together across generations
6 hours ago
Ken Paxton is facing a tight race against Democrat James Talarico, raising donor fears that Democrats could score a major win in the deep-red state
7 hours ago
National Cattlemen's Beef Association's CEO Colin Woodall warned that subsidized, below-market beef would not rebuild the US herd
8 hours ago
The Trump-aligned board voted in August 2026 to add inscriptions crediting him for renovations, prompting opponents to file emergency legal challenges
8 hours ago
A Maoist faction of the DSA rejected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as its 2028 standard-bearer, citing her stances on policing and Israel
9 hours ago
Officials told CNN that Harp stayed with Trump much of the day, joined meetings, advised him on posts, and served as a channel for foreign leaders
10 hours ago