US cautions Iran on naval drills near forces as Trump considers military response

Iran's Revolutionary Guard held two-day naval drills in the Strait of Hormuz, testing missiles and ships amid rising regional tensions
UPDATED JAN 31, 2026
Washington cautioned Tehran that unsafe naval maneuvers near US forces could spark escalation and endanger global oil shipping routes (Getty Images)
Washington cautioned Tehran that unsafe naval maneuvers near US forces could spark escalation and endanger global oil shipping routes (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The United States warned Iran on Saturday, January 31, against conducting live-fire military exercises close to US forces, after Tehran announced naval drills in the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic waterway that carries about 20% of the world’s oil supply.

Iran said that its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) was carrying out a two-day live-fire naval exercise in the strait, a move that came amid a heightened US military presence in the region.

The drills coincided with the arrival of additional US Navy vessels, part of what President Donald Trump this week described as a “massive armada,” which he said could act against Iran “with speed and violence, if necessary.”

STRAIT OF HORMUZ - NOVEMBER 19: In this handout photo provided by the US Navy,  The aircraft carrier
In this handout photo provided by the US Navy, The aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), left, the Royal Navy air defense destroyer HMS Defender (D 36) and the guided-missile destroyer USS Farragut (DDG 99) transit the Strait of Hormuz on November 19, 2019 (Getty Images)

US Central Command issues warning to Iran 

In a statement, US Central Command said that it would not tolerate unsafe or unprofessional behavior by Iranian forces.

“We will not tolerate unsafe IRGC actions including overflight of US military vessels engaged in flight operations, low-altitude or armed overflight of US military assets when intentions are unclear, high-speed boat approaches on a collision course with US military vessels, or weapons trained at US forces,” the statement read.

While acknowledging Iran’s right to operate in international waters and airspace, Central Command warned that unsafe conduct near US forces, regional partners or commercial shipping could increase the risk of collision and escalation.

U.S. President Donald Trump, accompanied by U.S. Interior Secretary Doug Burgum (L), U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth (2nd-L) and U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi (R), speaks during a news conference in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House August 11, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump announced he will use his authority to place the DC Metropolitan Police Department under federal control to assist in crime prevention in the nation's capital, and that the National Guard will be deployed to DC. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump, accompanied by Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Attorney General Pam Bondi, speaks during a news conference in the James S Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House, August 11, 2025, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Trump weighs military options as diplomacy stalls

Tensions between Washington and Tehran intensified following Iran’s violent crackdown on nationwide protests, which reportedly left thousands dead.

Trump publicly called for regime change while also urging Iran to strike a deal addressing concerns over its nuclear program.

The New York Times reported on Friday that Trump had been presented with a range of military options, including potential raids on targets inside Iran, citing multiple US officials.

Demonstrators wave Iranian flags as one holds up a poster of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei during a protest against Israeli attacks on Iran, after the Friday prayer ceremonies on June 20, 2025 in central Tehran, Iran. Over recent days, Iran has been hit by a series of Israeli airstrikes targeting military and nuclear sites, as well as top military officials, prompting Iran to launch a counterattack. (Photo by Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)
Demonstrators wave Iranian flags as one holds up a poster of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei during a protest against Israeli attacks on Iran, after the Friday prayer ceremonies on June 20, 2025, in central Tehran, Iran (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)

Port call underscores strategic regional commitment

A US Navy destroyer, the USS Delbert D Black, made a port visit to the southern Israeli city of Eilat on Friday. The vessel is one of six US destroyers currently deployed in the Middle East, alongside an aircraft carrier and three other combat ships.

Israeli media reported that the port call was pre-planned and part of routine military cooperation between the United States and Israel.

RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA - MAY 13: U.S. President Donald Trump and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman interact with officials during a “coffee ceremony” at the Saudi Royal Court on May 13, 2025, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Trump begins a multi-nation tour of the Gulf region focused on expanding economic ties and reinforcing security cooperation with key U.S. allies. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman interact with officials during a 'coffee ceremony' at the Saudi Royal Court on May 13, 2025, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Regional powers push to calm tensions

Despite the military posturing, diplomatic efforts to de-escalate tensions continued. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that Tehran was open to resuming negotiations, provided they were “fair and equitable” and excluded Iran’s defense capabilities.

Egypt said on Saturday that Foreign Minister Badr Abdel-Aty had spoken with counterparts from Iran, Turkey and Oman, as well as US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and Qatar’s prime minister, in what Cairo described as “serious efforts” to reduce tensions.

Egypt’s foreign ministry said that sustained communication could help bring Washington and Tehran back to the negotiating table to reach a “peaceful and consensual settlement.”

SHARM EL-SHEIKH, EGYPT - OCTOBER 13: U.S. President Donald Trump and President of Egypt Abdel Fattah El-Sisi shake hands while speaking to the press during a Middle East peace summit at the Sharm El Sheikh International Congress Center October 13, 2025 in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt. President Trump is visiting the country hours after Hamas released the remaining Israeli hostages captured on Oct. 7, 2023, part of a US-brokered ceasefire deal to end the war in the Gaza Strip. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump and President of Egypt Abdel Fattah El-Sisi shake hands while speaking to the press during a Middle East peace summit at the Sharm El Sheikh International Congress Center October 13, 2025, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Turkey also opposed any military action against Iran, warning that it would destabilize the region.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s office said that he had offered to act as a “facilitator” between Iran and the United States during a phone call with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian. 

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates meanwhile ruled out allowing their airspace or territory to be used for attacks on Iran.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Shortly after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, King Charles released a statement emphasizing that the royal household would fully cooperate with authorities
1 day ago
Thames Valley Police say the man arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office has been released while inquiries continue
1 day ago
'We may have to take it a step further, or we may not. Maybe we’re going to make a deal,' Trump said
2 days ago
President Donald Trump outlined a multinational framework aimed at rebuilding Gaza, though key details on fund allocation remained unclear
2 days ago
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said, 'We understand the public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time'
2 days ago
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, a charge carrying a potential life sentence under UK law
2 days ago
US military buildup heightens strike fears as nuclear negotiations near breaking point
2 days ago
'I believe Iranians are expected to come back to us with some more details in the next couple of weeks', Karoline Leavitt said
3 days ago
Cardinal Pietro Parolin said the Holy See will not join, stressing that 'at the international level it should above all be the UN that manages these'
3 days ago
Oman mediates Iran-US nuclear talks as Tehran balances compromise with confrontation
4 days ago