'His time was over before he even started campaigning': Chris Christie mocked as judge keeps him off Maine's Republican primary ballot

A Superior Court judge upheld the Maine Secretary of State's Office's decision to keep Chris Christie off the state's primary ballot
 Chris Christie was said to be ineligible to be a candidate in the Maine primary ballot (Getty Images)
Chris Christie was said to be ineligible to be a candidate in the Maine primary ballot (Getty Images)

AUGUSTA, MAINE: Maine Superior Court Judge Julia M Lipez upheld the Maine Secretary of State's Office's decision on Thursday, December 21, to keep Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie off the state's primary ballot due to lack of adequate number of signatures, as per CBS News.

According to Lipez, the former New Jersey Governor "did not separate petition forms by town, as instructed by the Secretary, or, in the alternative, give himself sufficient time to bring those multi-town signature sheets to the relevant municipalities before the November 20 deadline."

On December 1, Maine's Secretary of State's Office denied Christie a spot on the Republican primary ballot as it lacked the necessary number of certified signatures needed from the state's voters to qualify for the Republican presidential primary.

The Maine Republican presidential primary is scheduled for March 5, 2024.

Former Governor of New Jersey Chris Christie slammed Vivek Ramaswamy for his remarks (Fox News)
Chris Christie apparently failed to submit enough number of certified signatures from Maine voters (Fox News)

Chris Christie's campaign to evaluate other options

Responding to the court ruling, a spokesperson for Christie's campaign said, "We disagree with the court's decision, and we are evaluating our options."

On the other hand, Maine Secretary of State Shenna Bellows welcomed the decision, saying, "We appreciate that the court upheld the integrity of Maine's well-established ballot access requirements."

She continued, "Every candidate, including presidential candidates, must follow the law to qualify for the ballot. We are glad that the court recognized that Maine law is workable and fair to all."

The issue started earlier in December when Maine Director of Elections Heidi M Peckham said that the presidential hopeful's campaign only turned in 844 of the minimum 2,000 certified signatures required to appear on the state's primary ballot.

However, Christie's campaign denied it, saying they gathered 6,000 signatures, and argued it was "simply a procedural issue with the way they reviewed signatures and is under appeal."


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Governor Chris Christie (@chrischristie)


 

Court decision turns into a setback for Chris Christie's campaign

According to the latest opinion polls analysis by FiveThirtyEight, the recent court decision complicates the already trailing Christie, who stands in fifth position among his GOP contenders.

The White House hopeful is currently facing pressure to drop out of the race and instead support an alternative GOP candidate who could compete against Donald Trump.



 

The ex-POTUS has apparently resorted to body shaming jokes against Christie by saying that he was "mentally or physically" unfit for office and also called him a "fat pig" on another occasion.

On the other hand, the former New Jersey Governor attacked Trump, calling him "Voldermort" and "an angry bitter man" during the fourth GOP debate.



 

Internet mocks Chris Christie as he's kept off Maine's primary ballot

Soon after the news regarding Christie being kept off Maine's primary ballot came to light, netizens wasted no time in taking a dig at him. 

However, it remains to be seen if he will step aside to find a strong competitor against Trump, who he thinks is turning "crazier" with the increasing number of anti-immigrant remarks.

BEDMINSTER TOWNSHIP, NJ - NOVEMBER 20: (L to R) President-elect Donald Trump and New Jersey Governor
(R-L) Chris Christie is being pressured to drop out of the race and support an alternative candidate to compete against Donald Trump (Getty Images)

One remarked, "LOL. How will we survive?!?!" while another said, "Everyone should remove the delve from the Maine ballot until he is let back on, right?"

"Chris Christie running for President is a huge waste of time for him, voters and donors," remarked a person, and someone else added, "Color me shocked...not!"

An individual wrote, "The time for him to drop out was before he deciding to join imo." 

"There’s a lot of things Christie needs to do. That would be a start," joked one more, with another person saying, "Should have dropped out the day after he announced...lol."  

"His time was over before he even started campaigning," remarked a netizen. 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Patty Murray accused Sean Duffy of self-promotion over addressing Americans’ financial strain, calling his actions 'out of touch'
4 minutes ago
The results highlight the continued importance of Trump’s endorsement in shaping GOP primary outcomes
1 hour ago
Taking to X after the race was called, the California Democrat blasted what he described as attacks on Massie and argued the libertarian-minded Republican was punished for taking on powerful interests
2 hours ago
The bipartisan praise highlighted how Massie’s brand of anti-establishment politics has attracted support beyond traditional Republican circles
2 hours ago
Appearing on Hannity, Gallrein recounted a conversation he said changed the course of his campaign
3 hours ago
In a lengthy post on X after the results, Marjorie Taylor Greene hailed Thomas Massie as 'a giant among weak pathetic men'
3 hours ago
Michael Caputo said the FBI probes were ‘weaponized’ against his family as he filed $2.7M DOJ claim
3 hours ago
Speaking at his concession event in Hebron on May 19, Thomas Massie framed the loss as part of a larger purpose
3 hours ago
Thomas Massie criticized Donald Trump’s White House ballroom project, saying Americans are struggling while gas and diesel prices rise
4 hours ago
Ilhan Omar faced renewed scrutiny after revising financial disclosures tied to companies co-owned by partner Tim Mynett
5 hours ago