'The era of bullying is over': Iran warns US after strikes hit 80 targets following Hormuz attacks

Iran's military vowed a 'crushing response' to US strikes, which took place during the funeral of lSupreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warned the US after American strikes on Iran, as Bahrain and Kuwait responded to escalating regional threats (X/@mb_ghalibaf, AP Photo)
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warned the US after American strikes on Iran, as Bahrain and Kuwait responded to escalating regional threats (X/@mb_ghalibaf, AP Photo)

TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran's parliament speaker issued a defiant warning to the United States after US forces struck more than 80 Iranian military targets overnight in retaliation for Tehran's attacks on three commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, with the exchange threatening to unravel the fragile ceasefire agreed between the two countries last month.

The warning came as Bahrain's Interior Ministry sounded missile alert sirens and urged civilians to seek shelter, while Kuwait simultaneously reported that its air defenses were responding to incoming missile and drone threats.

US strikes 80 Iranian military targets

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf made the statement on X. Qalibaf said that the US campaign “leads nowhere.” “We don’t fold,” he added.



"The era of bullying and extortion is over. It leads nowhere. We don't fold," Parliament Speaker Ghalibaf wrote on X, accusing the US of violating the memorandum of understanding that had halted hostilities.

US Central Command announced that its forces struck more than 80 military targets in Iran, including air defense systems, command centers, coastal radar installations, anti-ship missiles, and more than 60 small boats operated by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps around the Strait of Hormuz.



The strikes targeted infrastructure that Iran was allegedly using to attack commercial ships. CENTCOM said the operation was intended to weaken Iran's ability to threaten international shipping.

Shortly after the strikes, the US Treasury Department revoked a waiver that had allowed Iran to sell oil and petrochemicals, cutting off a significant revenue stream that had been preserved during recent negotiations.

A US official said the move was intended as direct punishment for Tehran's actions. "Iran's actions in the Strait were wholly unacceptable to the United States and will be met with consequences," the official said.

Strikes coincide with Khamenei funeral and NATO summit

Iranian state media reported explosions on Qeshm Island, in the port city of Bandar Abbas, in Sirik, and on Kharg Island, a vital hub for Tehran's oil exports.

Mourners carrying Iranian and religious flags gather during the funeral procession of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran, Iran, Monday, July 6, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)
Mourners carrying Iranian and religious flags gather during the funeral procession of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran, Iran, Monday, July 6, 2026 (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

Iran's joint military command, the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, warned it would deliver a "crushing response" to what it called US aggression, adding that it would "under no circumstances allow interference in the affairs or management of the Strait of Hormuz."

The strikes came at a particularly tense moment, as they occurred during the dayslong funeral for Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who was killed at the start of Operation Epic Fury in February.

President Donald Trump walks with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, left, upon arriving for the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, Tuesday, July 7, 2026. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump walks with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, left, upon arriving for the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, Tuesday, July 7, 2026 (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

At the same time, Trump was in Ankara for the NATO summit, where security concerns in the Strait of Hormuz were expected to dominate discussions.

The strikes also coincided with ongoing negotiations aimed at permanently reopening the Strait of Hormuz, rolling back Iran's nuclear program, and reaching a lasting end to the war that began on February 28.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
1 day ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 day ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
1 day ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026