Trump-Kennedy Center calls reports of Stephen Schwartz cancellation after rebrand 'totally bogus'

Trump-Kennedy Center clarifies Stephen Schwartz was never scheduled or contracted to host the gala
Stephen Schwartz was reported to have considered withdrawing from the Trump-Kennedy Center gala after its rebrand (Getty Images)
Stephen Schwartz was reported to have considered withdrawing from the Trump-Kennedy Center gala after its rebrand (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Trump-Kennedy Center has denied claims that Stephen Schwartz, the celebrated composer of 'Wicked,' 'Godspell,' and 'Pippin,' canceled a scheduled appearance over the venue’s rebranding under President Trump.

Reports had suggested that Schwartz, 77, a three-time Academy Award winner, was joining a list of artists boycotting the center after its board renamed it the Trump-Kennedy Center. Schwartz was reported to have withdrawn from hosting the Washington National Opera Gala, which had been set for May 16, citing the rebranding.

Workers install Donald J. Trump above the current signage on the Kennedy Center on Friday, Dec. 19, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Workers installed Donald J Trump above the Kennedy Center signage in December 2025 (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin) 

Reports claim Stephen Schwartz withdraws from Trump-Kennedy Center

Earlier reports said Schwartz refused to attend the gala, telling Newsday there was “no way” he would enter the venue after the renaming. He reportedly said the center “no longer represents the apolitical place for free artistic expression it was founded to be” and added through an assistant that he would not “set foot in it now.”

Schwartz’s career spans decades, with stage musicals such as 'Children of Eden' and songs in animated films including 'Pocahontas' and 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame.' His accolades include multiple Grammy and Academy Awards.

Stephen Schwartz attends the
Stephen Schwartz received media attention after the reported withdrawal from the Kennedy Center (Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images)

The Kennedy Center renaming has sparked protests. Kennedy Center president Richard Grenell claimed that media outlets including CNN and The Washington Post encouraged artists to cancel performances, tweeting, “The legacy media are left wing activists — and they are open about it.”

Several performers have canceled appearances at the center since Trump returned to office, including Issa Rae, Peter Wolf, and Lin-Manuel Miranda.



Richard Grenell refutes claim of Stephen Schwartz pulling out

Grenell clarified the Stephen Schwartz reports on Twitter, calling them “totally bogus” and accusing reporters of repeating misinformation. He wrote, “He was never signed and I’ve never had a single conversation on him since arriving. People are literally plagiarizing a fake @RollingStone story.”

Roma Daravi, vice president of public relations for the center, told The Hill that Schwartz “was never discussed nor confirmed and never had a contract by current Trump Kennedy Center leadership.”



The controversy at the center extends beyond Schwartz. Jazz group The Cookers canceled two New Year’s Eve concerts, citing jazz as rooted in “freedom of thought, of expression, and of the full human voice.” Similarly, The Doug Varone and Dancers troupe canceled a planned April performance, and drummer/vibraphonist Chuck Redd called off a long-standing Christmas Eve jazz concert in protest.

After Redd’s cancellation, the center demanded $1 million, describing his decision as a “political stunt.”

U.S. President Donald Trump looks down from the Presidential Box in the Opera House at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts as he participates in a guided tour and leads a board meeting on March 17, 2025 in Washington, DC. After shunning the annual Kennedy Center Honors during his first term in the White House, Trump fired the center’s president, removed the bipartisan board of Biden appointees, and named himself Chairman of the storied music, theater, and dance institution. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Donald Trump observed the Kennedy Center board meeting in March 2025 (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

The turmoil began earlier this year when Trump appointed a new board aligned with his political stance, which quickly renamed the center and made him chairman. Critics argue the renaming may be illegal, and during a call about the decision, a congresswoman claimed she was muted and prevented from voicing opposition.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Melania Trump's father, Viktor Knavs, worked as a car salesman and dealer, making automobiles a natural part of her childhood
5 minutes ago
The president said Penske had come to Washington 211 times while trying to get the race off the ground
2 hours ago
Footage recorded on August 18 near 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue went viral, prompting theories about underground work or a possible scam
3 hours ago
Earlier, when a reporter asked about her relationship status, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded that she does not comment on her private life
4 hours ago
Cleared for an emergency landing, Faith Tenkley realized the landing gear was broken, and the plane was still carrying a heavy fuel load
12 hours ago
Trump said the Freedom 250 Grand Prix will be 'one of the most unforgettable racing events the world has ever seen'
12 hours ago
Kai Trump made quick picks on UFC, Taco Bell, Mar-a-Lago, Air Force One and aliens while answering Katie Pavlich’s playful questions
14 hours ago
Freedom 250 organized the event for America’s 250th anniversary, bringing together male and female high school athletes from every state and territory
15 hours ago
Roommates said Jessica Bowie wore a niqab and largely kept to herself, often retreating to her bedroom after returning home
23 hours ago
Demonstrators called for Mayor Frey's resignation, but tensions rose when counter-protesters arrived and surrounded Lang before he left in his car
1 day ago