'We will use force': US puts defiant ships on notice in Hormuz as Iran ceasefire frays

Hegseth framed the blockade operation as effective while reiterating that Washington preferred diplomacy but would act if deterrence failed
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen Dan Caine speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon, Thursday, April 16, 2026 in Washington (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen Dan Caine speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon, Thursday, April 16, 2026 in Washington (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)

WASHINGTON, DC: The United States has warned it will use force against any vessels defying its naval blockade in the Strait of Hormuz, even as a fragile ceasefire with Iran enters its second week.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen Dan Caine issued the blunt warning during a news conference on Thursday, April 16, saying, “If you do not comply with the blockade, we will use force.”

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth reinforced the message, stating that US forces remain fully prepared to escalate if required.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth takes questions from the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon, Thursday, April 16, 2026 in Washington. (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth takes questions from the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon, Thursday, April 16, 2026 in Washington (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)

Military ready for rapid escalation

Hegseth described the blockade as “successful” and said the military could swiftly transition back to full-scale combat operations if tensions rise again.

“At the direction of President Donald Trump, the War Department will ensure that Iran never has a nuclear weapon,” Hegseth said, adding that Washington prefers a diplomatic resolution but remains prepared for a military option.

Caine echoed the stance, noting that US joint forces are “postured and ready to resume major combat operations at literally a moment’s notice.”

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Dan Caine walks past Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, left, at the start of a press briefing at the Pentagon, Thursday, April 16, 2026 in Washington. (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen Dan Caine walks past Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, left, at the start of a press briefing at the Pentagon, Thursday, April 16, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)

Ships turn back amid enforcement

According to Caine, at least 13 ships have already turned around rather than challenge the blockade, which applies to all vessels heading to or from Iranian ports regardless of nationality.

So far, US Central Command (CENTCOM) has not boarded any ships, indicating compliance has largely been voluntary under the threat of force.

The blockade, enforced in the Gulf of Oman just outside the Strait of Hormuz, comes as Iran attempts to assert control over the critical waterway, which typically carries about one-fifth of global oil shipments.

Iran has responded with sharp rhetoric, threatening to target American vessels and potentially disrupt traffic in other key waterways, including the Red Sea.

Shipping activity through the Strait of Hormuz remains significantly below pre-war levels despite the ceasefire, reflecting ongoing uncertainty and risk.

U.S. Vice President JD Vance, center, walks with Pakistan's Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshall Asim Munir, left, and Pakistani Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Mohammad Ishaq Dar after arriving for talks with Iranian officials in Islamabad, Pakistan, Saturday, April 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)
Vice President JD Vance walks with Pakistan's Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir, left, and Pakistani Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Mohammad Ishaq Dar after arriving for talks with Iranian officials in Islamabad, Pakistan, Saturday, April 11, 2026 (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)

Ceasefire talks show limited progress

The developments come just over a week into a two-week ceasefire aimed at creating space for negotiations to end the conflict.

Talks between US and Iranian officials in Pakistan last weekend failed to produce a breakthrough, with major disagreements persisting over Tehran’s nuclear program.

However, President Trump has indicated that another round of discussions could take place soon.

U.S. President Donald Trump arrives for a Medal of Honor Ceremony in the East Room of the White House on March 02, 2026 in Washington, DC. Trump awarded three soldiers the highest military decoration; Master Sgt. Roddie Edmonds, who died in 1985, for shielding Jewish prisoners from Nazi guards during World War II; then-Staff Sgt. Terry Richardson for saving 85 lives of fellow soldiers during the Vietnam War; and Staff Sgt. Michael Ollis who died in the Afghanistan War when he shielded another soldier from a suicide bomber. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump arrives for a Medal of Honor Ceremony in the East Room of the White House on March 02, 2026, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Trump signals optimism and criticizes NATO

Despite the tensions, Trump has struck an optimistic tone, saying the conflict is “very close to over” and hinting at renewed diplomatic engagement.

At the same time, he has criticized NATO for its lack of involvement in the conflict, even raising the possibility of the US reconsidering its role in the alliance.

As the ceasefire deadline approaches, uncertainty remains over whether diplomacy will prevail or the region will slide back into open conflict.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Missouri Republicans pushed through a new map under Donald Trump’s pressure, aiming to boost GOP power and target Democratic Rep Emanuel Cleaver
42 minutes ago
Sean Duffy’s remarks came after a judge dismissed the Trump administration’s lawsuit against Harvard over alleged antisemitic harassment
1 hour ago
Two sources said Jennifer Hegseth wanted to revoke credentials of reporters she believed had published negative stories about Pete Hegseth
1 hour ago
The debt has since doubled to $40 trillion as the Trump admin faces higher military spending tied to the Iran war and tariff refunds, adding to continued federal borrowing
2 hours ago
Mitch McConnell, 84, has been absent since his June 14 hospitalization and was discharged from rehab on August 6 to recover at home
3 hours ago
Natalie Harp delayed her SF-86 security-clearance paperwork despite extensions until Donald Trump personally intervened, prompting its submission
4 hours ago
President Trump said America's energy surge weakened Hormuz's leverage as a covert US operation reportedly kept millions of barrels moving
9 hours ago
Fed officials say stubborn inflation may force the central bank to raise rates, putting renewed pressure on borrowers and the economy
10 hours ago
Melania Trump is expected Thursday at a Rose Garden event after weeks out of public view
11 hours ago
'We don't believe we have to go to Congress. We believe Congress has already given us the authority to do what we’re doing', Todd Blanche said
12 hours ago