‘Era of one-sided deals is over’: Iran's Ghalibaf warns as Tehran strikes US sites across Gulf

Iran reportedly targeted US-linked military sites in Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Jordan, and Oman after Washington's third round of strikes against Tehran
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf's remarks accompanied references to provisions of the memorandum that he said required Iran to facilitate commercial navigation through the Strait of Hormuz for a limited period (Getty Images)
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf's remarks accompanied references to provisions of the memorandum that he said required Iran to facilitate commercial navigation through the Strait of Hormuz for a limited period (Getty Images)

TEHRAN, IRAN: Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warned that "the era of one-sided deals is over" on Sunday, July 12, as Tehran and Washington exchanged another round of military strikes, further escalating tensions over the Strait of Hormuz and threatening the memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed only weeks ago.

Iranian state media reported that Tehran launched attacks targeting US-linked military facilities in Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Jordan and Oman after Washington carried out a third round of strikes against Iranian targets. The United States said its latest operation came in response to fresh Iranian attacks on commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.

Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warns US as Iran claims attacks across Gulf

Ghalibaf posted a message on X (formerly Twitter) declaring that "The era of one-sided deals is over. We told you: keep your word or pay the price. Reality is knocking." His remarks accompanied references to provisions of the memorandum that he said required Iran to facilitate commercial navigation through the Strait of Hormuz for a limited period.



Tehran said the waterway would remain closed until further notice, pointing to the MoU provision highlighted by Ghalibaf stating that "The Islamic Republic of Iran will make arrangements using its best efforts" to ensure free passage of commercial vessels through Hormuz "for 60 days only."



The statement came as Iranian state media reported that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) launched ballistic missiles at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, attacked logistics facilities supporting US naval vessels at Oman's Port of Duqm, carried out drone strikes against US military assets in Kuwait, and targeted military infrastructure in Bahrain and Jordan.



IRGC also claimed Tehran struck a second commercial vessel in the Strait of Hormuz after earlier announcing the strategic waterway's closure, warning that any further retaliation would receive a "severe response."

US confirms third round of strikes after week of escalating exchanges

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said American forces launched a third round of strikes against Iran after accusing the IRGC of attacking commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz. 

A small motorboat passes anchored vessels in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Thursday, June 11, 2026.(Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
A small motorboat passes anchored vessels in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, on Thursday, June 11, 2026(Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

According to CENTCOM, about 140 Iranian military targets were struck on Saturday, including missile and drone sites, naval facilities, ammunition depots, communications infrastructure and coastal surveillance positions. The military said more than 300 targets had been hit during three nights of operations this week.

"Iran was provided yet another opportunity to demonstrate adherence to the Memorandum of Understanding after being held accountable for earlier attacks on commercial vessels but has again failed," CENTCOM said.



The latest exchange followed a week of escalating military action between the two countries. The US carried out strikes on Tuesday and Wednesday after accusing Iran of attacking commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, with President Donald Trump declaring the ceasefire effectively over.

President Donald Trump speaks with reporters in flight on Air Force One after landing at U.S. Air Force Base at RAF Mildenhall, in Suffolk Eastern England, Wednesday, July 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump speaks with reporters in flight on Air Force One after landing at US Air Force Base at RAF Mildenhall, in Suffolk, Eastern England, on Wednesday, July 8, 2026 (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

The third round came a day after senior US officials warned Tehran to publicly commit to ending attacks on commercial vessels and guarantee that the Strait of Hormuz would remain open, cautioning that failure to do so would bring further consequences.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 60-day US-Iran ceasefire deadline ended without a deal on August 17, and President Trump said the next day that no talks were underway
6 hours ago
The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
7 hours ago
Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
1 day ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
1 day ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
4 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
4 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
4 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
4 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
6 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026