‘If you strike, you’ll get hit’: Iran claims strikes on US bases as Tehran warns of wider retaliation

Iranian lawmaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf issued the warning as Tehran linked the strikes to recent US military operations
Iran’s chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf had warned Washington as Tehran claimed strikes on US facilities in Kuwait and Bahrain (@mb_ghalibaf/X, AP Photo)
Iran’s chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf had warned Washington as Tehran claimed strikes on US facilities in Kuwait and Bahrain (@mb_ghalibaf/X, AP Photo)

TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran’s parliament speaker and chief negotiator with the United States, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, warned Washington against further military action as tensions between the two countries continued to escalate.

His remarks came after Iran claimed responsibility for attacks on US military facilities in Kuwait and Bahrain following another round of American strikes on Wednesday, July 8. The latest exchange marked a further deterioration in relations after both sides accused each other of violating the ceasefire framework reached last month.

Iran claims strikes on US bases in Kuwait and Bahrain

In a post on X, Ghalibaf warned the United States against further military operations, writing, "America still hasn’t learned that bullying and breaking promises are no longer cost-free." He added, "Don’t flail around pointlessly, or you’ll sink even deeper: the Strait of Hormuz will only open with ‘Iranian arrangements,’ not American threats."



Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said it launched a joint drone and missile operation targeting US military facilities in Kuwait and Bahrain. According to a statement carried by Iranian state media, the strikes targeted Camp Arifjan and Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait, along with Shaikh Isa Air Base and Juffair in Bahrain, which hosts the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet.



The IRGC said the attacks were carried out in response to recent US military operations targeting Iran’s southern coastal provinces and infrastructure. It also warned that any additional American retaliation would result in expanded strikes against other US military installations across the region.



Authorities in Kuwait and Bahrain reported sirens sounding amid missile and drone threats, while Kuwait’s military said its air defense systems had been activated.

CENTCOM details fresh strikes as Trump says ceasefire is over

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said American forces had completed another round of military operations inside Iran, striking approximately 90 military targets.

According to CENTCOM, the operation targeted air defense systems, coastal surveillance assets, missile and drone storage sites, naval capabilities, and military logistics infrastructure along Iran’s coastline. The command said the strikes were intended to "further degrade Iran’s ability to attack commercial shipping and innocent civilian mariners in the Strait of Hormuz."



The latest operation followed an earlier wave of US strikes on Tuesday, July 7, after Washington accused Iran of attacking three commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz.

AT SEA, UNSPECIFIED - MARCH 1: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this U.S. Navy released handout, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) fires a Tomahawk land attack missile in support of Operation Epic Fury, on March 1, 2026 at Sea. Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was confirmed killed after the United States and Israel launched a joint attack on Iran on February 28. Iran retaliated by firing waves of missiles and drones at Israel, and targeting U.S. allies in the region. (Photo by U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
 A US Navy Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer had fired a Tomahawk missile during Operation Epic Fury (US Navy via Getty Images)

After the strikes, President Donald Trump defended the military operation, describing the strikes on Truth Social as "in retribution for yesterday's bombing of ships by Iran." He also warned Tehran, "If it happens again, it will get much worse!"



The latest escalation has cast fresh doubt over US-Iran negotiations under the 60-day ceasefire framework, which was designed to ease sanctions, reopen the Strait of Hormuz and resolve disputes over Iran's nuclear program.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
19 hours ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
19 hours ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
3 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
3 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
3 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
3 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
5 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026