Iran says ‘no plans’ for next round of peace talks as US delegation heads to Islamabad

Iran’s president says, ‘War benefits no one; every rational and diplomatic route should be used’
US–Iran talks face fresh uncertainty after Iran said it has ‘No Plans’ for a second round, amid rising tensions and mixed signals (Getty Images)
US–Iran talks face fresh uncertainty after Iran said it has ‘No Plans’ for a second round, amid rising tensions and mixed signals (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Uncertainty over ongoing US-Iran negotiations intensified on Monday, April 20, after Iran’s foreign ministry said there are currently no plans for a second round of talks.

The statement comes amid rising tensions following recent US actions and conflicting signals about diplomatic engagement.

While Washington has announced a delegation to Pakistan for discussions, Tehran has not confirmed its participation.

Iranian officials have also expressed mixed messaging, combining skepticism about the process with calls for diplomacy.

Iran pauses talks, expresses skepticism

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said there are no immediate plans to continue negotiations with the United States.

“As of now, we have no plans for the next round of negotiations,” he said during a weekly press conference. He added, “We don’t believe in deadlines or ultimatums to secure Iran’s national interests.”

The remarks follow heightened tensions after the United States seized an Iranian-flagged ship, prompting a strong reaction from Tehran and raising doubts about whether talks will proceed.

Despite earlier indications that a second round of negotiations could take place, Iranian state media later cast uncertainty over participation.



Baqaei also struck a cautious tone regarding relations with Washington.

Iran is “certainly not optimistic” about its dealings with the United States, he said, though he described the country’s position as pragmatic. 

“To the extent that one could say there is a certain degree of pessimism... and this is entirely reasonable,” he said, adding, “Being pessimistic about the enemy is the same as being wise." 

(x/@IRIMFA_SPOX)
Baqaei says 'we don’t believe in deadlines or ultimatums to secure Iran’s national interests,' as President Trump warned of burning every bridge if a deal is not reached soon  (x/@IRIMFA_SPOX)

The developments come as the United States prepares to send a delegation to Islamabad for potential talks.

While Iranian officials had earlier indicated that representatives might attend, no final confirmation has been given, leaving the status of negotiations unclear.

Pezeshkian urges an end to conflict

Amid the uncertainty, Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian emphasized the need to reduce tensions and prioritize diplomacy.

“War benefits no one, and while standing firm against threats, every rational and diplomatic route should be used to reduce tensions,” he said during remarks at the Ministry of Justice.



Pezeshkian also stressed the importance of transparency with the public during the ongoing crisis. “People must be informed of the realities of the country. Providing inaccurate information or unrealistic promises not only does not help resolve issues but will also weaken public trust,” he said, adding that “both achievements and challenges should be shared honestly with the public.” 

MOSCOW, RUSSIA - JANUARY 17 (RUSSIA OUT) Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian speaks during Russian-Iranian meeting at the Grand Kremlin Palace, January 17, 2025, in Moscow, Russia. Pezeshkian arrived to Moscow for a treaty signing with Putin. (Photo by Contributor/Getty Images)
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian speaks during a Russian-Iranian meeting at the Grand Kremlin Palace, January 17, 2025, in Moscow, Russia (Photo by Contributor/Getty Images)

The president highlighted the need to bring the conflict to an end and focus on domestic recovery. “Continuing the conflict benefits no one, not us, not the other side, and not the future of the region or coming generations,” he said.

He added that after hostilities cease, Iran will face significant challenges related to reconstruction, financial resources, and market stability.

Iran’s economy has already been under strain, with officials estimating substantial damage from the conflict, including impacts on key industries such as steel and petrochemicals.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 60-day US-Iran ceasefire deadline ended without a deal on August 17, and President Trump said the next day that no talks were underway
2 days ago
The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
2 days ago
Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
3 days ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
3 days ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
5 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
6 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
6 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
6 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
Aug 15, 2026
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026