Trump expands Venezuela standoff by seizing 'largest' oil tanker

Donald Trump suggested the US would keep the oil while refusing to identify the tanker’s owner and leaving its destination unclear
UPDATED DEC 11, 2025
Trump described the Venezuelan vessel as 'a large tanker, very large. Largest one ever seized, actually.' (@AGPamBondi/X)
Trump described the Venezuelan vessel as 'a large tanker, very large. Largest one ever seized, actually.' (@AGPamBondi/X)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Wednesday, December 10, announced a sharp escalation in tensions with Venezuela, stating the US had seized an oil tanker off its coast.

Trump described the vessel as "a large tanker, very large. Largest one ever seized, actually.”

Tanker seizure confirmed by Donald Trump

President Trump confirmed that the US military had seized an oil tanker near the Venezuelan coast, making this announcement during a White House roundtable on Wednesday.

He did not detail the circumstances of the seizure, but said there would be talk of that "later," adding it was seized for "very good reason."



Meanwhile, Attorney General Pam Bondi posted a video of the operation, emphasizing that it was "conducted safely and securely—and our investigation alongside the Department of Homeland Security to prevent the transport of sanctioned oil continues." Trump said the US would be keeping the oil from the vessel.

The owner of the tanker was not disclosed, nor was its destination, though China is noted as the main, largely indirect, buyer of Venezuelan oil to circumvent sanctions.

Donald Trump ramps up US military presence in Caribbean 

The seizure is part of a wider ramp-up of US military activity in the Caribbean to put more pressure on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

The Pentagon has been conducting a series of strikes against d**g boats in the area, which it said were flooding the country and had reportedly killed over 80 suspects.



Meanwhile, Trump has also hinted at further military action to follow, suggesting that land strikes would be next, and has repeatedly claimed that Maduro’s days “are numbered.”

In a separate escalation last month, Trump also instructed airlines to stop flying over Venezuelan airspace, writing on Truth Social, “To all Airlines, Pilots, D**g Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”

Pete Hegseth keeps September 2 strike footage under review

At the same time, the administration has been continuing to take heat from Capitol Hill lawmakers over a previous military operation in which a second strike against an alleged drug boat off Venezuela on September 2 killed two survivors.

This incident has led some critics to wonder if US military forces might have committed war crimes.

Pete Hegseth pauses to talk to reporters after a series of meetings with senators in the Russell Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill on November 21, 2024 in Washington, DC. Hegseth was nominated by President-elect Donald Trump to be the next Secretary of Defense. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Pete Hegseth pauses to talk to reporters after a series of meetings with senators in the Russell Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill on November 21, 2024 in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Top Democrats have called for the video of the strikes, which has been shown to some in closed briefings, to be shown to all of Congress, while others have demanded the unedited video be made public.

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 10: CEO of Dell Technologies Michael Dell (L) looks on as U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a roundtable discussion with top business leaders in the Roosevelt Room at the White House on December 10, 2025 in Washington, DC. During the roundtable, Trump addressed questions on the Federal Reserve’s latest decision to cut interest rates and reports that the U.S. seized an oil tanker off the coast of Venezuela, among other topics. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
CEO of Dell Technologies Michael Dell looks on as US President Donald Trump speaks during a roundtable discussion with top business leaders in the Roosevelt Room at the White House on December 10, 2025 in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

When asked earlier about releasing the video, Trump said he had “no problem” releasing what they had, shifting the final decision to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth

The top Trump official told lawmakers the release of the video remained under review this week. Asked on Wednesday if Hegseth had given a reason for the delay, Trump replied no, adding, “I thought that issue was dead.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The suspect allegedly targeted his family at a packed arena, leaving multiple victims dead or critically wounded
1 hour ago
Nancy Guthrie’s family pleaded for her return as the FBI described a masked male suspect seen carrying an Ozark Trail backpack
1 hour ago
Minnesota BCA condemns ‘unprecedented’ FBI noncooperation, blocks access to investigation files
7 hours ago
Trump says DOJ will seek death penalty if Savannah Guthrie’s mother is harmed
8 hours ago
Media executive reveals fourth ransom letter claims anchor’s mother taken south
9 hours ago
Attorney General Pam Bondi releases 300-name Epstein list, says inclusion isn't wrongdoing
10 hours ago
The revived ICE task force model, which had ended in 2012 over profiling concerns, offered equipment funding and incentives to departments that joined
10 hours ago
Sheriff Chris Nanos calls the suspect’s backpack one of the strongest leads
12 hours ago
James Heidorn calls leaving his 14-year teaching career 'devastating' after community backlash over his personal ICE support
19 hours ago
Hillary Clinton outlined arming Ukraine with missiles, while Petr Macinka urged calm dialogue and rejected labeling opponents 'fascist'
19 hours ago