Trump not satisfied with Iran's peace offer, says US can make a deal or 'blast the hell out of them'

'There are options. Do we want to go and just blast the hell out of them and finish them forever? Or do we want to try and make a deal', Trump said
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he departs the White House on May 1, 2026 in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he departs the White House on May 1, 2026 in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump said on Friday, May 1, that he is dissatisfied with Iran’s latest proposal to end the ongoing conflict with the United States and Israel, casting doubt on whether Tehran’s leadership can finalize a peace agreement.

Trump said negotiations remain active but are being conducted remotely, and he indicated that Iran’s internal divisions may be complicating the process.

The conflict, now in its third month, remains under a fragile ceasefire while the US blockade on Iranian ports continues and the Strait of Hormuz remains under heavy restrictions.

Trump also confirmed receiving updated military options from US Central Command, saying the administration continues to weigh both diplomatic and military paths.

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 01: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he departs the White House on May 01, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump is traveling to Florida for the weekend. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he departs the White House on May 01, 2026, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Trump says Iran wants a deal but questions leadership's capability 

Trump said Iran has made progress in negotiations but indicated the latest proposal did not meet US expectations.

“They want to make a deal,” Trump told reporters. “I’m not satisfied with it.” He did not specify which elements of the revised proposal he found unacceptable, but suggested Iran’s fragmented leadership structure could prevent a final agreement.

“They’ve made strides, but I’m not sure if they ever get there,” Trump said.



Describing the political situation in Tehran, Trump pointed to divisions within the Iranian leadership. “The leadership is very disjointed,” he said.

“It’s got two to three groups, maybe four, and it’s a very disjointed leadership.” Trump added, “And with that being said, they all want to make a deal, but they’re all messed up.” 



Pakistani officials involved in mediation confirmed on Friday that Iran had sent a revised proposal through Islamabad to Washington.

The contents of the document have not been made public, but officials familiar with the process said that the previous Iranian proposal had been rejected because it sought to postpone discussions over Tehran’s nuclear program until later phases of negotiation.

Trump says military action remains an option if diplomacy fails

Trump said the administration’s options remain limited to either reaching a diplomatic settlement or pursuing a broader military campaign



“There are options. Do we want to go and just blast the hell out of them and finish them forever? Or do we want to try and make a deal. That’s the options,” Trump said.

The president confirmed he had received a fresh military briefing from US Central Command on Thursday night outlining operational plans should negotiations fail.

Trump said his preference remains diplomacy, but he did not rule out military escalation. “On a human basis, I’d prefer not,” he said. “But that’s the option: do we want to go in there heavy and just blast them away or do we want to do something?”

President Donald Trump speaks with reporters before departing on Marine One from the South Lawn of the White House, Friday, May 1, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump speaks with reporters before departing on Marine One from the South Lawn of the White House, Friday, May 1, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

The US and Iran have remained in a tense standoff since reaching a temporary ceasefire several weeks ago. While formal in-person negotiations have not resumed, diplomatic contacts have continued through intermediaries.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

In her letter, she thanks colleagues and cites personal and family reasons for stepping down
42 minutes ago
The controversy centered on a series of old Reddit posts linked to the username 'P-Hustle', an account Dem Senate candidate Platner admitted owning
1 hour ago
DCCC spends $35K in intervention ad push ahead of critical primary runoff
1 hour ago
'We all would love to see an agreement with Iran in which the straits are open, and they abandon their nuclear ambitions', Marco Rubio said
2 hours ago
Trump erupts after Thom Tillis criticizes $1.776B ‘anti-weaponization fund’
2 hours ago
EU enacts emergency sanctions framework with asset freezes, travel bans on trade disruptors
2 hours ago
Secretary of State Marco Rubio urged allies to prepare backup plans for a long maritime crisis if diplomacy failed to end Iran's blockade
3 hours ago
Trump’s Poland troop announcement adds to confusion over US military posture in Europe
8 hours ago
Adding to ongoing speculation, Laura Loomer claimed Amaryllis Fox Kennedy was 'unhappy' with President Donald Trump’s handling of the Iran war
10 hours ago
Trump claims Democrats oppose voter ID legislation because 'they’ll never be elected again' if rules are enacted
11 hours ago