Victims' Attorney Helene Weiss blasts DOJ’s handling of Epstein files, says it's a 'complete mess'

Attorney Helene Weiss attacks Department of Justice over disorganized Epstein files.
Attorney Helene Weiss slams the DOJ’s handling of the Epstein files, citing improper redactions and missing survivor interviews (Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)
Attorney Helene Weiss slams the DOJ’s handling of the Epstein files, citing improper redactions and missing survivor interviews (Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: An attorney for several Jeffrey Epstein survivors has condemned the Justice Department's handling of the recent document release, labeling the process a 'complete mess' that fails to meet legal transparency standards. 

Helene Weiss criticized the department for prioritizing defensive political statements over the proper protection of victim identities.

New tranche of DOJ files reveals jailhouse report detailing Epstein’s reported attempt to end his life weeks before his death(Getty Images)
New tranche of DOJ files reveals jailhouse report detailing Epstein’s reported attempt to end his life weeks before his death (Getty Images)

Legal expert attacks DOJ over disorganized Epstein disclosures

Helene Weiss, a former sex crimes prosecutor and legal representative for multiple survivors, has lashed out at the DOJ regarding the partial and disorganized disclosure of files linked to Jeffrey Epstein.

Weiss argued that the release fell significantly short of the mandates set by the 'Epstein Files Transparency Act.' 

She targeted the DOJ’s decision to include a defensive statement alongside documents that mention President Trump

In that statement, the DOJ dismissed certain allegations against the president as 'untrue and sensationalist,' asserting, “To be clear: the claims are unfounded and false, and if they had a shred of credibility, they certainly would have been weaponized against President Trump already.” 

In this handout, the mug shot of Jeffrey Epstein, 2019. (Photo by Kypros/Getty Images)
In this handout, the mug shot of Jeffrey Epstein, 2019 (Kypros/Getty Images)

Helene Weiss claims DOJ failed to redact victims names 

Speaking to CNN Central News, Weiss noted that while survivors had been waiting for these records since December 19, the documents they 'received were, again, heavily redacted.'

“They included some very inappropriate redactions, and now we have the DOJ issuing a defensive statement when it was really their job to release these documents, properly redacting victims’ names, which they completely failed to do,” she said. 

She added, “It was their job to provide us with documents with appropriate redactions, and they failed.”

Despite the DOJ and Attorney General Pam Bondi claiming that redactions were intended to shield minors and protect privacy, several survivors discovered their names had been left exposed, leading Weiss to conclude, “What the DOJ has delivered is, quite frankly, a complete mess.”

WASHINGTON, DC - NOVEMBER 19: Attorney General Pam Bondi (C), accompanied by Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche (L) and FBI Director Kash Patel (R), speaks at a news conference to announce the indictment of a former Olympic snowboarder Ryan Wedding, charging him with murder and money laundering in connection to a drug trafficking organization at the Justice Department on November 19, 2025 in Washington, DC. The Justice Department announced a fifteen-million-dollar reward for information leading to the arrest of Ryan James Wedding, the leader of a criminal drug organization who smuggled large quantities of cocaine through Colombia and Mexico for distribution in the United States and Canada. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Attorney General Pam Bondi, accompanied by Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche and FBI Director Kash Patel, speaks at a news conference to announce the indictment of a former Olympic snowboarder Ryan Wedding, charging him with murder and money laundering in connection to a drug trafficking organization at the Justice Department on November 19, 2025 in Washington, DC  (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Where are the survivors' interview notes, asks Helene Weiss 

Furthermore, Weiss questioned the whereabouts of a large collection of testimony from other women who cooperated with federal authorities over the years, emphasizing that the public and the victims deserve to see the full scope of the investigative trail. 

She pointed out that the DOJ is yet to produce materials related to Maria Farmer, a pivotal figure who attempted to alert the FBI to Epstein’s crimes as early as 1996. 

“We don’t have Maria’s interview notes,” Weiss stated. “We also know that many survivors have interview notes. Dozens and dozens of survivors have reported that they spoke with the FBI—that they were interviewed by the FBI. Where are the victim interviews?”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The reality show alum is battling incumbent Karen Bass and city councilwoman Nithya Raman for the coveted top spot
5 minutes ago
Republicans warn taxpayers could end up compensating January 6 defendants under the DOJ proposal
28 minutes ago
Ilhan Omar says Republicans were inflating the claims to secure TV appearances
45 minutes ago
Trump praised the 48-1 House committee vote advancing permanent daylight saving time as a boost for safety and savings
1 hour ago
President Trump said that the 14th Amendment's Citizenship Clause was meant for 'babies of slaves', not modern immigration cases
6 hours ago
The fund was created to compensate Americans allegedly targeted through 'lawfare' or politically motivated government action
6 hours ago
Donald Trump made it clear that he hoped to be there for the wedding ceremony and wished the couple well
7 hours ago
'The GOP's campaign was powered by data, amplified by social media, and enabled by ardent supporters at every level', the DNC report revealed
7 hours ago
Lauren Boebert's remarks stood out as many Republicans avoided criticizing Donald Trump after others faced political backlash
8 hours ago
'She allegedly committed marriage and immigration fraud to get her brother into this country', Nancy Mace wrote about Ilhan Omar
9 hours ago