Trump assassination bid prompts Secret Service to take ‘unusual’ security measure for ex-POTUS

The Secret Service has approved the reassignment of agents from Biden's protective team to guard Trump
UPDATED AUG 16, 2024
The Secret Service, which had faced criticism after the assassination attempt on Donald Trump in Pennsylvania, has taken a slew of measures for his security (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
The Secret Service, which had faced criticism after the assassination attempt on Donald Trump in Pennsylvania, has taken a slew of measures for his security (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA: The Secret Service reportedly plans to increase Donald Trump's security by reassigning agents from President Joe Biden's protection team after the assassination attempt on the ex-president last month, according to Daily Mail.

The approved plan allows former president Trump to continue campaigning at outdoor rallies following the shooting incident on July 13.


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by President Donald J. Trump (@realdonaldtrump)


 

In addition to reassigning agents, the Secret Service will implement the use of bulletproof glass and other advanced security measures to provide extra protection for the 78-year-old MAGA figurehead, which is not typically offered to presidential candidates.

Why did Secret Service choose to bolster Donald Trump's security?

According to an unnamed Secret Service official cited by The New York Times, the reassignment of the president's security team members to a candidate is “unusual,” but it was deemed “necessary and feasible” due to the recent threat of violence against Trump and President Biden's reduced travel schedule.

The use of bulletproof glass at outdoor events represents a significant increase in security measures, usually reserved for presidents and vice presidents.


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by President Donald J. Trump (@realdonaldtrump)


 

Neither the White House nor Trump's campaign team provided any immediate comments on the reported changes.

Ever since the assassination attempt in Butler, Pennsylvania, where a bullet grazed Trump's ear and a rally attendee was killed, the 2024 GOP presidential candidate has not appeared at an outdoor rally.

After the shooting, concerns were raised about the gunman's ability to access a nearby rooftop with a direct line of sight to where Trump was speaking, leading to intense scrutiny of the Secret Service's security protocols.

(Getty Images)
Donald Trump survived an assassination attempt during a rally at Butler, Pennsylvania on July 13 (Getty Images)

The Secret Service has said it was “ashamed” of the security lapse and its chief, Kimberly A Cheatle, stepped down following the assassination attempt.

FBI officials have not yet identified a motive for the shooter, 20-year-old Thomas Crooks, who was shot dead by a Secret Service agent.

After the incident, the Secret Service advised Trump to avoid large outdoor events, but the ex-POTUS stated that he would continue outdoor rallies, claiming that the Secret Service had “agreed to substantially step up their operation” to protect him.

Internet reacts to Secret Service's move to amp up Donald Trump's security

People online voiced their opinions over US Secret Service's plans to reassign agents from President Joe Biden's protection team to Donald Trump.

One X user remarked, "Judging by their last performance, is it a good thing?"



 

Another user asserted, "The Secret Service's decision to reassign agents from one president to another speaks volumes about the seriousness of the threats against former President Trump. It's a poignant reminder that political differences vanish when it comes to human safety."



 

Another user said, "We, only hope the changes keeps him safe."



 

One X user wrote, "I am no supporter of him but would never want him harmed. the secret service failed miserably. They cannot protect a former President we have no chance. We need to know how the failure occurred."



 

Another user claimed, "Trump would have never done that for his opponent."



 

Finally, this user tweeted, "Assassination is part of American political life like a banana republic. More guns than people in your "society"."



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Thomas Massie said billionaire allies tied to the Epstein circle are funding attacks against him, whether or not they are named in the files
31 minutes ago
Homan said ICE actions strengthened safety and blamed state leaders’ policies, rejecting their claims of economic harm from the enforcement push
46 minutes ago
Marjorie Taylor Greene said that Donald Trump fought to block the Epstein files’ release and signed the bill only after political pressure
59 minutes ago
Mark Kelly said President Donald Trump damaged the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, warning Russia and China benefit from weakened alliances
1 hour ago
Tom Homan told Jake Tapper he met Democratic leaders to solve problems and secured unexpected agreements in Minnesota with Governor Tim Walz
1 hour ago
'Probably only those legally eligible to vote would vote, but I have not talked to the secretary about those statements', Tom Homan said
6 hours ago
Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear said the dispute over which leaders were invited to the annual NGA meeting undermined bipartisan cooperation
7 hours ago
Thomas Massie said that he had no confidence in Pam Bondi, saying, 'She hasn’t got any sort of accountability there at the DOJ'
8 hours ago
'No records were withheld or redacted on the basis of embarrassment, reputational harm, or political sensitivity', the DOJ stated
9 hours ago
Funding lapse disrupts DHS operations after talks on immigration enforcement reforms collapse
9 hours ago