Trump delays final call as US-Iran ceasefire deal nears approval: Report

The draft deal would restore Strait of Hormuz shipping, with Iran expected to clear naval mines within 30 days
President Donald Trump weighed final approval of a tentative US-Iran ceasefire deal, according to Axios reporter Barak Ravid (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump weighed final approval of a tentative US-Iran ceasefire deal, according to Axios reporter Barak Ravid (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump is reportedly delaying a final decision on a developing US-Iran ceasefire agreement despite negotiators nearing completion of a draft framework designed to halt hostilities and restart nuclear talks.

According to the report by Axios' Barak Ravid published Thursday, May 28, both sides have largely settled on the core structure of the proposal, but Trump has asked for additional time before personally signing off on the arrangement as pressure builds around the high-stakes negotiations.



Trump taking time with draft

According to the report, US and Iranian negotiators have tentatively agreed to a 60-day ceasefire framework that would also launch broader talks surrounding Tehran’s nuclear program.

The proposed arrangement would reportedly include an Iranian commitment not to pursue nuclear weapons while negotiations continue over sanctions relief, access to frozen Iranian assets and the future of Iran’s enriched uranium stockpile.

Officials involved in the talks told Axios that the contours of the agreement had mostly been completed by Tuesday.

Terms of the deal were mostly agreed to,” US officials reportedly said, adding that Iranian representatives later informed mediators they had secured approval from senior leadership and were prepared to move forward.

The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)
The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)

Iran, however, has not publicly confirmed that claim.

Despite the apparent progress, Trump has not yet formally approved the agreement after receiving a briefing from negotiators. “The president relayed to the mediators that he wants a couple of days to think about it,” one US official told the outlet.

Under the draft framework, shipping traffic through the strategically critical Strait of Hormuz would resume without restrictions, with Iran reportedly expected to remove naval mines from the waterway within roughly 30 days.



The proposal would also gradually ease the US naval blockade as commercial shipping activity returns to normal.

Deal emerges amid growing pressure 

The reported breakthrough comes after weeks of escalating tensions and economic disruption tied to the conflict between the United States and Iran.

The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most important oil transit chokepoints, carrying a significant share of global energy shipments.

Concerns over shipping disruptions during the conflict contributed to rising fuel prices and growing international pressure for de-escalation.

A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026.(Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026 (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

Ravid first revealed details of the developing agreement on X, writing that “US and Iran reach deal but need Trump’s final approval,” citing officials and a regional source involved in mediation efforts.

So far, neither the White House nor Iranian officials have publicly released the full text of the proposed memorandum of understanding, and significant uncertainty remains over whether Trump will ultimately approve the deal in its current form.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump made the remark while recalling a conversation with Melania Trump about his signature 'YMCA' dance routine
6 minutes ago
Canada sharply responded, stating that it would immediately respond with matching tariffs, as both sides blamed the other for the collapse in talks
31 minutes ago
Trump called Tucker Carlson a 'low-IQ individual' who is 'totally irrelevant,' and suggested he needs a cognitive test if he runs for office
38 minutes ago
Donald Trump defended Darline Graham over criticism of her national security remarks and urged South Carolina Republicans to support her campaign
55 minutes ago
Trump said he did not direct Scott Bessent to intervene in the bond market and that the Treasury secretary acted on his own initiative
1 hour ago
Trump argued that a Democratic takeover would hurt jobs and businesses, and claimed they would seek to remove him from office without a clear reason
1 hour ago
Trump praised Scott Jennings and Margo Martin as interest grows in who will take over the high-profile White House communications role
3 hours ago
Alejandro Brito demanded a retraction from the Center for American Progress, while CEO Neera Tanden defended its findings
3 hours ago
The Supreme Court temporarily paused a judicial order that would have required the construction of Trump's White House ballroom to stop at midnight Friday.
4 hours ago
Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
8 hours ago