'I had a call': Bessent confronts Oman over Hormuz tolls as Trump's warning rattles the region

'I had a call with the Omani ambassador this morning, and he assured me that there were no plans for tolling the Strait', Bessent said
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Oman assured the US that it would not restrict the Strait of Hormuz, stressing free navigation amid tensions (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Oman assured the US that it would not restrict the Strait of Hormuz, stressing free navigation amid tensions (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

WASHINGTON, DC: Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Thursday, May 28, that Oman assured the United States it has no intention of imposing tolls or attempting to restrict movement through the Strait of Hormuz after President Donald Trump issued a blunt warning about maintaining free navigation in the strategically critical waterway.

Bessent said he personally spoke with the Omani ambassador following Trump’s remarks and emphasized that any attempt to interfere with international commerce would trigger serious consequences from Washington.



Oman denies Strait toll plans

During a White House media appearance on Thursday, Bessent was asked about Trump’s escalating rhetoric surrounding the Strait of Hormuz and whether the administration was preparing for another military confrontation in the region.

Bessent downplayed the prospect of conflict while making clear that the administration views unrestricted navigation through the Strait as non-negotiable.

“I think the president wanted to punctuate freedom of navigation in the Strait,” Bessent said. He revealed that he had already spoken directly with Oman’s ambassador following the controversy.

“I had a call with the Omani ambassador this morning, and he assured me that there were no plans for tolling the Strait,” Bessent explained.

The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)
The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)

According to the treasury secretary, the ambassador stressed the long-standing relationship between the two countries during their conversation. 

“As he said, our countries have 200 years of good relations. He wants to have another 200 more,” Bessent added.

The treasury secretary also said he warned Oman against risking potential US sanctions tied to any restrictions on maritime traffic.

“I told him that this was a nonstarter,” Bessent said, adding that Oman would not want “either Omani individuals or Omani financial institutions getting sanctioned.”



Earlier, Bessent had posted a sharply worded statement warning that the US government would aggressively target any parties involved in creating a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz.

“The United States Government will not tolerate any effort to impose a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz,” Bessent wrote, adding that “any willing partners will be penalized.”

Trump warns Oman to 'behave' 

The tensions followed comments Trump made during Wednesday’s Cabinet meeting while discussing access to the vital shipping route.

“The Strait is going to be open to everybody,” Trump declared. “It’s international waters.” Trump then issued a direct warning involving Oman’s role in the region.



“Oman will behave like everybody else, or we’ll have to blow them up,” the president said. “They understand that.”

The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most strategically important energy corridors, carrying a massive share of global oil shipments. Any disruption to shipping traffic through the narrow waterway can send shockwaves through international energy markets and global trade.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump said he did not direct Scott Bessent to intervene in the bond market and that the Treasury secretary acted on his own initiative
46 minutes ago
Trump argued that a Democratic takeover would hurt jobs and businesses, and claimed they would seek to remove him from office without a clear reason
48 minutes ago
Trump praised Scott Jennings and Margo Martin as interest grows in who will take over the high-profile White House communications role
2 hours ago
Alejandro Brito demanded a retraction from the Center for American Progress, while CEO Neera Tanden defended its findings
3 hours ago
The Supreme Court temporarily paused a judicial order that would have required the construction of Trump's White House ballroom to stop at midnight Friday.
3 hours ago
Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
7 hours ago
Vance said earlier generations made his life possible, adding that Black, white, rich and poor Americans built the country together across generations
7 hours ago
Ken Paxton is facing a tight race against Democrat James Talarico, raising donor fears that Democrats could score a major win in the deep-red state
8 hours ago
National Cattlemen's Beef Association's CEO Colin Woodall warned that subsidized, below-market beef would not rebuild the US herd
9 hours ago
The Trump-aligned board voted in August 2026 to add inscriptions crediting him for renovations, prompting opponents to file emergency legal challenges
9 hours ago