Iran's supreme leader vows revenge for predecessor's death amid renewed tensions with US

Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei promised retaliation as Iran reported casualties from recent US strikes, while diplomats headed to Oman for fresh talks
Mojtaba Khamenei, the son of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, attends the Jerusalem Day rally in Tehran, Iran, on May 31, 2019 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi, File)
Mojtaba Khamenei, the son of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, attends the Jerusalem Day rally in Tehran, Iran, on May 31, 2019 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi, File)

TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei has vowed to avenge the death of his predecessor and father, issuing a stern warning against those he blamed for killing Iranian "martyrs" during the country's recent conflicts.

In a statement published on Saturday, July 11, by Iran's state-run ISNA news agency, Khamenei pledged that Tehran would pursue those responsible for the deaths, declaring that they would not escape justice.

"We pledge to exact revenge for your pure blood and the blood of all the martyrs of these two wars from their criminal and disgraced killers," Khamenei said.

Demonstrators pose with pictures of Iran's new Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei (R), and his late father Ali Khamenei (L) during a rally in support of the new Supreme Leader at Enghelab Square on March 9, 2026 in Tehran, Iran. The United States and Israel continued their joint attack on Iran that began on February 28. Iran retaliated by firing waves of missiles and drones at Israel, and targeting US allies in the region (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)
Demonstrators pose with pictures of Iran's new Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, and his late father Ali Khamenei (L) during a rally in support of the new Supreme Leader at Enghelab Square on March 9, 2026, in Tehran, Iran (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)

Mojtaba Khamenei vows retaliation without naming any country 

Although he did not identify any country or individual by name, his reference to the "two wars" appeared to point to the open military confrontations involving Iran, the United States and Israel in 2025 and 2026.

Khamenei further warned that those responsible would not enjoy a peaceful end. "These criminals, whose names are fully documented from the top to the bottom of the ladder, will take their dream of a peaceful death in bed to their graves," he said.

This image provided by U.S. Central Command shows aircraft on the flight deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) that are operating in support of the war in Iran, on Tuesday, March 3, 2026. (U.S. Navy via AP)
This image provided by US Central Command shows aircraft on the flight deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) that are operating in support of the war in Iran, on Tuesday, March 3, 2026 (US Navy via AP)

Casualties reported after US strikes

The statement comes amid renewed hostilities between Tehran and Washington following the collapse of a fragile ceasefire earlier this week.

According to Iran's Ministry of Health, US airstrikes carried out on Wednesday and Thursday killed at least 17 people and injured 115 others across six Iranian cities.

The ministry said 14 surgeries had been performed, while 102 of the injured had been discharged after receiving treatment.

The latest escalation followed Iranian attacks on commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most strategically important oil shipping routes.

The strikes prompted US military retaliation, shattering a ceasefire that had briefly paused direct military exchanges between the two countries.

The renewed violence has raised concerns over regional stability, with analysts warning that continued attacks around the Strait of Hormuz could disrupt global energy supplies and increase the risk of a broader conflict.

This image provided by U.S. Central Command shows a F/A-18E Super Hornet launching from the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) in support of Operation Epic Fury on Monday, March 2, 2026. (US Navy via AP)
This image provided by US Central Command shows an F/A-18E Super Hornet launching from the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) in support of Operation Epic Fury on Monday, March 2, 2026 (US Navy via AP)

Diplomatic efforts continue in Oman

Despite the sharp rhetoric and military escalation, diplomatic channels remain open. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi arrived in Oman on Saturday for talks expected to continue indirectly with US officials through Omani mediators.

According to Iran's state-run IRNA news agency, Araghchi is scheduled to meet his Omani counterpart to discuss developments surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, which has become the focal point of the latest confrontation.

Oman has frequently acted as a mediator between Tehran and Washington during periods of heightened tensions.

A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026.(Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026 (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

The latest round of discussions is expected to focus on reducing military escalation and addressing maritime security in the Gulf.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 60-day US-Iran ceasefire deadline ended without a deal on August 17, and President Trump said the next day that no talks were underway
8 hours ago
The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
9 hours ago
Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
1 day ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
1 day ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
4 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
4 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
4 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
4 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
6 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026