Iran locks Hormuz under 'strict control' after US refuses to lift naval blockade

An Iranian spokesperson said the Strait would remain under strict control until the US allowed full navigation for vessels traveling to and from Iran
Iran reinstated tighter control over the Strait of Hormuz amid US tensions, linking stricter oversight of the key waterway to ongoing disputes over maritime access and regional security conditions (Getty Images, AP Images)
Iran reinstated tighter control over the Strait of Hormuz amid US tensions, linking stricter oversight of the key waterway to ongoing disputes over maritime access and regional security conditions (Getty Images, AP Images)

TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran has reinstated “strict control” on Saturday, April 18, over the Strait of Hormuz, reversing its brief reopening of the strategic waterway amid escalating tensions with the US. The move comes as Washington continues a blockade targeting Iranian-linked shipping, prompting renewed restrictions by Tehran.

The development follows a reported incident involving Iranian gunboats firing on a tanker near Oman.

The Strait remains one of the world’s most vital maritime corridors with approximately 20% of global oil supplies passing through it. Hormuz has seen fluctuating conditions over the past 24 hours. 

Ships wait offshore in the Strait of Hormuz off Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, Wednesday, March 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)
Ships wait offshore in the Strait of Hormuz off Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, Wednesday, March 11, 2026 (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

Iran reinstates restrictions and cites US blockade

Iranian military officials said on Saturday that conditions in the Strait of Hormuz have returned to “strict control,” linking the decision to the continued US blockade on vessels connected to Iranian ports.

A spokesperson for Iran’s Khatam al-Anbiya military command headquarters stated, “Control over the Strait of Hormuz has returned to its previous state, and this strategic waterway is now under strict management and control of the armed forces.”

The statement underscored that the restrictions would remain in place unless US policy changes. 

President Donald Trump speaks in the Oval Office of the White House, Saturday, April 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump speaks in the Oval Office of the White House, Saturday, April 18, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

“Until America allows full freedom of navigation for vessels traveling from Iran to destinations and vice versa, the situation in the Strait of Hormuz will remain under strict control and in its previous condition,” the spokesperson added.

Iran had declared the waterway “completely open” a day earlier during an ongoing ceasefire period, though shipping activity remained limited as companies assessed the security situation.

The reversal followed President Trump’s announcement that a blockade on Iranian ports would continue until a broader agreement is reached.



Iranian officials criticized the US measures, with a military spokesperson stating, “The Americans, with their repeated breaches of commitments well documented in their record, continue acts of piracy and maritime theft under the so-called blockade.”

The Revolutionary Guards’ Navy also warned that “any breach of commitments by America will receive an appropriate response.”

Tanker incident highlights rising tensions in the waterway

The renewed restrictions came alongside a reported maritime security incident involving Iranian forces.

According to the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO), a tanker traveling roughly 20 nautical miles off the coast of Oman was approached by two Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) gunboats.



The vessel’s captain reported that there had been no prior radio warning before the gunboats opened fire. “Tanker and crew are reported safe,” UKMTO said in its advisory, noting that the ship’s identity was not disclosed.

The incident occurred less than 24 hours after the United States stated that the Strait would remain open, adding to confusion over conditions in the region.

Meanwhile, US Central Command (CENTCOM) said its blockade actions have led to multiple vessels altering course. “Since commencement of the blockade, 23 ships have complied with direction from US forces to turn around,” CENTCOM said.



Iranian authorities reiterated that the status of the Strait is directly tied to US actions. 

“As long as the passage of vessels from Iranian origin to Iranian destination remains under threat, the status of the Strait of Hormuz will remain in its previous state,” the IRGC navy said.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 60-day US-Iran ceasefire deadline ended without a deal on August 17, and President Trump said the next day that no talks were underway
1 day ago
The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
1 day ago
Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
2 days ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
2 days ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
5 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
5 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
5 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
6 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
7 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026