Trump holds 'all the cards' as Iran scrambles to reopen Hormuz without giving up its uranium

Tehran sought a ceasefire to lift the naval blockade and reopen key shipping lanes, while avoiding commitments on reducing its uranium stockpiles
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held talks in Pakistan and Russia to reopen the Strait without giving up uranium, as President Donald Trump insisted any deal must bar Iran from nuclear weapons (AP Photos)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held talks in Pakistan and Russia to reopen the Strait without giving up uranium, as President Donald Trump insisted any deal must bar Iran from nuclear weapons (AP Photos)

WASHINGTON, DC: The 57-day war has reached a high-stakes phase as Tehran has reportedly submitted a fresh proposal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz in exchange for an extended ceasefire.

According to sources familiar with the matter, Iranian mediators are seeking an end to the US naval blockade that has disrupted their economy, but the proposal does not address the Trump administration’s stated demand for a permanent end to Iran’s nuclear program.

White House Spokeswoman Olivia Wales responded by reiterating the administration’s position, stating the United States will not negotiate through media reports.



“As the president has said, the United States holds the cards and will only make a deal that puts the American people first, never allowing Iran to have a nuclear weapon,” Wales said.

The standoff continues as global energy markets remain affected by Operation Epic Fury, which has significantly reduced oil transit through the Strait.

Hormuz traffic remains sharply below normal levels

Ships wait offshore in the Strait of Hormuz off Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, Wednesday, March 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)
With only 21 vessels clearing the Strait in 48 hours, the president’s Operation Epic Fury continues to strangle Iran’s economic lifeblood (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

Despite claims from Iranian officials that the waterway had reopened earlier this month, shipping data indicates continued disruption.

Between April 24 and April 26, only 21 ships exited the Strait of Hormuz, while just two vessels entered during the same period, according to Kpler tracking data. One of those vessels was identified as a sanctioned crude tanker.

The reduced traffic highlights the ongoing impact of the US naval blockade on Iran’s export capacity.

The Strait, a 21-mile-wide corridor that typically handles roughly one-quarter of global seaborne oil, remains significantly below normal operating levels, contributing to volatility in global energy markets.

Trump predicts imminent infrastructure collapse

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump, left, arrive at the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House after an unspecified threat at the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in Washington, Saturday, April 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)
President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump arrive at the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House after an unspecified threat at the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in Washington, Saturday, April 25, 2026 (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

In an interview with 'The Sunday Briefing', President Donald J Trump said Iran’s oil infrastructure could face internal strain due to halted exports.

He argued that continued production without sufficient export capacity could create pressure within pipelines and storage systems.

“When you have vast amounts of oil pouring through your system... if that line is closed, that line explodes from within, both mechanically and in the earth,” Trump said. 



He added that Iran may have “about three days left” before facing serious operational challenges tied to storage and transport constraints.

The president indicated that limited storage capacity and restricted shipping access are central factors in the current pressure on Iran’s oil sector.

Nuclear stockpile remains the primary roadblock

NATANZ, IRAN - MARCH 30:  An Iranian nuclear power plant stands March 30, 2005 some 200 miles (322 k
The Trump administration has made the total removal of enriched uranium a non-negotiable 'final deal' for ending the naval blockade (Getty Images)

Negotiations remain focused on Iran’s nuclear program. The June 2025 'Operation Midnight Hammer' targeted three nuclear facilities, but Israeli officials have said parts of Iran’s enriched uranium stockpile remain intact.

US officials have expressed concern that enrichment activities could continue amid the ongoing conflict.

Iran has sought to delay direct negotiations on its nuclear program, a position the White House has rejected. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has held discussions in multiple countries, including Pakistan and Russia, as part of ongoing diplomatic outreach.

Abbas Araghchi seeks Russian support in St Petersburg

Russian President Vladimir Putin, second right, and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, third left, attend the talks at the Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library, in St. Petersburg, Russia, Monday, April 27, 2026. (AP Photo/Dmitri Lovetsky, Pool)
Russian President Vladimir Putin, second right, and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, third left, attend the talks at the Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library, in St Petersburg, Russia, Monday, April 27, 2026 (AP Photo/Dmitri Lovetsky, Pool)

Following recent talks in Pakistan, Araghchi traveled to St Petersburg to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin. Reports indicate Iran is seeking terms that would allow the Strait to reopen without fully relinquishing its uranium stockpile.

The US position remains unchanged, with officials stating that any agreement must ensure Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon.

As the situation develops, maritime activity in the Strait of Hormuz remains limited, with both sides maintaining their current positions amid continued diplomatic and military pressure.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Julia Letlow wins 45% as Fleming gets 28% and Cassidy trails with 24% in the Louisiana vote
25 minutes ago
Trump praises Barry Moore’s loyalty and conservative record as Alabama GOP primary nears runoff
37 minutes ago
The president says selecting the wrong successor could trigger a total disaster
46 minutes ago
Trump was asked about partnering with Mark Cuban to lower prescription d**g costs despite his 2024 endorsement of Kamala Harris
6 hours ago
Patel has been under scrutiny following allegations of excessive drinking, unexplained absences and controversial use of FBI resources
7 hours ago
Raskin’s remarks reflect a pattern of aggressive Democratic rhetoric aimed at portraying Trump’s political network as dangerous
9 hours ago
Donald Trump reportedly called John Thune after Elizabeth MacDonough blocked the ballroom funding vote under Senate rules
9 hours ago
The UFC boss revealed this week that what was supposed to be an elegant evening at the newly reopened Rose Garden quickly turned into a bug-filled reality check
9 hours ago
Donald Trump joked that Mark Cuban’s endorsement was a 'mistake,' prompting laughter from the audience
10 hours ago
Michelle argued that widening inequality and declining economic stability have left many Americans feeling abandoned regardless of race or geography
11 hours ago